How do manufactures get that thick uniform bead of silicone?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
With the indirect light coming in the window near my tank, I noticed the top left bead is showing light. It is still sealed on the inside but it appears to be splitting. I'm thinking about pulling the tank apart and re doing the silicone as I see bubbles and the silicone looking old in some segments. I can see light about 4" down from top, dead center of bead.

My main hesitation is how to get that thick uniformed bead the manufacturer gets. Looks to be about 1/16" all the way around? Are there spacers of some kind? Or just experienced and a controlled bead?
Also what is the best black silicone to use? I've read rtv is okay along with GE silicone 1. Is a razor blade and some solvent the best for removing the old silicone?

thanks for any tips.

rtv is stronger but GE silicone 1 works fine. Use a razor blade and take your time. I've just cleaned the glass with vinegar but I would suggest cleaning the edges with a ultra fine sandpaper to make sure all the old silicone is completely removed. Bond will be excellent unless old silicone gets in the way.