Anyone tried Reefbar Pro lights?

sonubhai

I have a friend that has them, they are powerful lights. But the different colors don't blend very well. you can really tell them apart when they are running in a low setting.

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
I have a friend that has them, they are powerful lights. But the different colors don't blend very well. you can really tell them apart when they are running in a low setting.
Cool, that's good to know. The disco effect drove me crazy when I added red/green/UV leds to my nano. I had to add a diffuser to blend them better.

The price on these is just really hard to beat. I was looking at the AI Hydras, but the price when you get into multiples is just really not in my budget. :|

Spinner

Supporter
I ordered the 24" actinic on Monday to check them out but have not received it yet. One item that's nice about them is the driver is not mounted in/on the fixture and comes with a 7' cord. Also they have 60 degree not 90 so the punch will be better the full spectrums come with 90s....FYI

Riblet

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm looking at getting 2 48" actinics to supplement my 8-bulb ATI

we tested the Par on these for a 18 inch deep tank. and it was around 100 at the bottom of the tank. I agree with you for the price wise. Have you checked these out. Have heard good things about them but never tested them.

http://www.amazon.com/Programmable-...UTF8&qid=1414816934&sr=8-16&keywords=reef+led

http://www.rapidled.com/onyx-by-rapid-led/
I rather get this are cheaper and are exactly the same just the name changes
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COG41H6...olid=911H3W76NG23&coliid=I1HBG6APZJW2S9&psc=1

Rapid LED are really high par but they are expensive for my budget and there coverage. for $250 plus shipping I rather get Maxspects better coverage and more feature for similar pricing.

Was looking at these... the price is sure right, but looking for opinions. I'd probably go with 2-3 for a 36x18 tank. Or maybe swap one out for a 50/50 blue/white.

http://www.21ledusa.com/aquarium_led_reefbar_pro_36_ultra_actinic_p/rbpua36.htm

http://www.21ledusa.com/aquarium_led_reefbar_pro_30_ultra_actinic_p/rbp505030.htm

Any thoughts?
Interesting I am wondering if they run at full 3w or are just claiming they are 3w but run them at 2w like other Chinese LED brands. I do like how thin they are but I am wondering what is there coverage and if its limited. How many would you need because for $200 I could cover a 120g and grow sps with the Chinese LED and they are controllable.

TH64

I ordered the 24" actinic on Monday to check them out but have not received it yet. One item that's nice about them is the driver is not mounted in/on the fixture and comes with a 7' cord. Also they have 60 degree not 90 so the punch will be better the full spectrums come with 90s....FYI
Any update? I was also considering these since I only want night time actinic lighting:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-LE...n-/281159388162?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Interesting I am wondering if they run at full 3w or are just claiming they are 3w but run them at 2w like other Chinese LED brands. I do like how thin they are but I am wondering what is there coverage and if its limited. How many would you need because for $200 I could cover a 120g and grow sps with the Chinese LED and they are controllable.
I highly doubt they run at 3w. There is a seller on eBay "the_johnvh" that sells those exact lights at the same price and when I messaged him for details on the drivers he said they are 12v and run at optimal amperage but no actual details

Spinner

Supporter
I have not received it yet per tracking he just sent it out today:( Ordered on the 28th
I will post picks once I receive it.

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
The 36" has 36 LEDs and they say 108w, so they run at 3w - assuming their numbers are accurate.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, though they're really tempting - but I still wonder about color blending with so many LEDs in a straight line. And I really want to be able to hook them up to my Apex. :( The price is just really hard to beat.

TH64

[MENTION=5090]Spinner[/MENTION] keep us posted! [MENTION=8991]Coelli[/MENTION] are you planning on using it as your primary light?

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
[MENTION=5090]Spinner[/MENTION] keep us posted! [MENTION=8991]Coelli[/MENTION] are you planning on using it as your primary light?
Yeah, I was thinking about getting 2 or 3 of them for a 36x18x24h tank.

TH64

[MENTION=8991]Coelli[/MENTION] I personally would not go with those for primary lighting. They are underpowered and wont last nearly as long as normal LED fixtures and the disco effect would be very prominent with pretty much no space between LED's. You could find another fixture used for a similar price for your tank. Dont get too caught up in the price for 1 of the most imp aspects of your reef which is lighting. Check out aquastyleonline.com for DIY LEDs which would come out to pretty close to that price for your size tank with proper drivers and heatsink.

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
Honestly I'll have the budget for something better (yay for being employed again!) but I seem to be suffering from analysis paralysis. :) i'm also considering two AI Hydra 26s, but having the funds still doesn't make the price easy to swallow. The Razor 160w is another option but I haven't found out what the spread is on it yet. I think the 120w might be too small for 36"? I can't hang them (we have cats) so whatever I get needs to be either on top of the tank or on some kind of really sturdy mount that I can attach to the back of the stand. I'm not sure why this is such a hard decision, geez...!

Spinner

Supporter
I agree about your only lighting FWIW I wanted to try them with a 400 watt MH knowing they would be washed out but the spectrum is there. I am looking/trying out to see what's what anyway:)

Spinner

Supporter
Just a heads up the led bar light I bought has never been shipped nor have I heard from the seller. I was to get the light last Monday so I requested an up date which automatically opens an eBay alert.