Bio-Pellets advice

I read a few article and people say that bio-pellets aren't that great only in the beginning after that they just shoot up your nitrates. So they just to stick to GFO. How do you keep bio-pellets long term and having them keep stable water parameters? I'm curious how many people have kept them long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tam

I read a few article and people say that bio-pellets aren't that great only in the beginning after that they just shoot up your nitrates. So they just to stick to GFO. How do you keep bio-pellets long term and having them keep stable water parameters? I'm curious how many people have kept them long term.

There's quite a few.

I'm not anywhere close to knowing even a little on pellets. However I would assume that if nitrates went up after using pellets for a bit, it was cause they weren't refilled. But again I'm not positive.

There's quite a few.

I'm not anywhere close to knowing even a little on pellets. However I would assume that if nitrates went up after using pellets for a bit, it was cause they weren't refilled. But again I'm not positive.
Well from what I read on RC and some blogs nitrates weren't the problem but phosphates which went through the roof.

Well from what I read on RC and some blogs nitrates weren't the problem but phosphates which went through the roof.

My understanding is they have a negligible effect on phosphates, which is why most continue to run gfo with pellets.

Again, I may be wrong. I'm researching this myself.

My understanding is they have a negligible effect on phosphates, which is why most continue to run gfo with pellets.

Again, I may be wrong. I'm researching this myself.
So I finally got an email back from a member from RC he been running biopellets and he said run it with GFO since bio-pellets is for nitrates especially for people who feed a lot and GFO because of phosphates. What brands are you using for bio-pellets and GFO? What reactors? Im leaning towards BRS reactors or CPR reactors.

So I finally got an email back from a member from RC he been running biopellets and he said run it with GFO since bio-pellets is for nitrates especially for people who feed a lot and GFO because of phosphates. What brands are you using for bio-pellets and GFO? What reactors? Im leaning towards BRS reactors or CPR reactors.

I don't run pellets yet. Trying out nopox.

Make sure you get an actual BP reactor as good tumbling is paramount.

For gfo I use the seaside aquatics.

I don't run pellets yet. Trying out nopox.

Make sure you get an actual BP reactor as good tumbling is paramount.

For gfo I use the seaside aquatics.
Let me know if it works. Yeah BRS has one for $50 w/o pump. Cpr for $50 w/ pump

I've been running pellets since I started my tank last oct along with gfo&GAC. I used Dr.Tim's pearls inside a cadlight BR-1 reactor and I had gfo in a brs reactor with output to GAC in a viaAqua reactor. I have since taken gfo&GAC offline since may of this year. If your looking to get into pellets with an established system, I'd suggest go slow with the amount of pellets. It takes time for Bacteria culture to develope. So be patient...there's a new product by reef interest "all-in-one" that's by design suppose to treat n03&p04. The jury is still out on its design effectiveness....

I've been running pellets since I started my tank last oct along with gfo&GAC. I used Dr.Tim's pearls inside a cadlight BR-1 reactor and I had gfo in a brs reactor with output to GAC in a viaAqua reactor. I have since taken gfo&GAC offline since may of this year. If your looking to get into pellets with an established system, I'd suggest go slow with the amount of pellets. It takes time for Bacteria culture to develope. So be patient...there's a new product by reef interest "all-in-one" that's by design suppose to treat n03&p04. The jury is still out on its design effectiveness....
What's GAC? Okay so hopefully tomorrow I get everything online or sometime next week. So I should run GFO until I think bio-pellets can take the load? And if I want to use all in one I could possibly just top off my remaining pellets? Also how often do you top off?

What's GAC? Okay so hopefully tomorrow I get everything online or sometime next week. So I should run GFO until I think bio-pellets can take the load? And if I want to use all in one I could possibly just top off my remaining pellets? Also how often do you top off?

GAC(carbon)..I refill the pellets when its low and test shows a spike in n03. I'm currently on my 2nd 250ml of the pearls with a half jar left...also I've taken out my fuge since take may too. Now my main filltration consist of a bad@ss skimmer, pellets, and my 3 4"socks..

GAC(carbon)..I refill the pellets when its low and test shows a spike in n03. I'm currently on my 2nd 250ml of the pearls with a half jar left...also I've taken out my fuge since take may too. Now my main filltration consist of a bad@ss skimmer, pellets, and my 3 4"socks..
I wish I could take off my fuge but have hungry mouth to feed like my Dragonets. So I'm go to start with all three then eventually slowly accommodate to my reef needs. How do you like the socks?

I wish I could take off my fuge but have hungry mouth to feed like my Dragonets. So I'm go to start with all three then eventually slowly accommodate to my reef needs. How do you like the socks?

Personally, I like it. Helps with particles and gfo bypass...

Personally, I like it. Helps with particles and gfo bypass...
I'm redoing my sump to include socks, new pipes since they shake a lot and splash a lot, and the reactors. Also a new stand. So much work so little time. I found one of member stand with sliding door that I want to mimic for easier access.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
I think it is very worthwhile to read up as much as you can on bio pellets. The consumption of nitrates and phosphates has a specific ratio that favors nitrate consumption over phosphate. Also if there are not enough nitrates available then phosphates remain in water. Given those two statements, that is why gfo is typically required. Fuge's aren't usually utilized in combination, because the nutrients are so controlled and consumed, that not enough is left for algae in refugium to consume so they eventually starve. And if you carry that out farther, without attention to detail, you can effect available nutrition for your coral. It is another balancing act, that you need to maintain and control. All-in-one bio pellets are a new approach, hoping to lower nitrates and phosphates without a separate gfo reactor. I am just starting to read about that but I don't know much, yet (I actually don't know much, generally).

I commend you for trying to find the information before you jump into it. Gaining solid, reliable information is challenging because of so much bravado, false claims, lack of scientific research and ultimately lots of bull. I continuously wonder if I am reading fact or fiction.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I've been looking at this as well. I have 2 tlf150 reactors. I have been running rowaphos in one and GAC in the other. I've read GAC can strip trace elements out of the water column when trying to find a reason why my lps were bleaching. so I killed both reactors. My refugium just picked up the slack and my lps are coming back to life. And I'm pulling half gallon bags of chaeto out every other week.

I think I'm going to stick with a more natural approached. I'm looking into things along the lines of seachem matrix to aid in denitrification. It isnt designed to break down which i like. Probably still run smaller amounts of GFO in the other tlf150 if I notice a spike in phosphates. But so far that hasn't happened.

Latest posts