Six2seven's gyre review!!!

Mine is pretty noisy. Kinda bummed. Hoping it breaks in
Loud like a vortech pump, or sqeaky loud?

I really want to like this too, but why are there so many fanboys already? This company is new into powerheads. I need critical reviews. My tunze pumps have always been dead quite.

My Tank Build

I really want to like this too, but why are there so many fanboys already, shen this company is new into powerheads. I need critical reviews. My tunze pumps have always been dead quite.
Like a old rio. A hummie sound. I'll say it again. Mine took a month to quite down. Might have been less but that's about I remember turning it up and didn't notice the sound.

For the record I got my second beta pump and hooked it up and the dam thing was so load the wife demand I get rid of it. She even unplugged it after I would leave for work. So after a week of letting it be loud I had enough. So I changed the bearing from my first beta to my second beta. My first beta was dead silent. We'll that helped a little. But the mount on one side of the gyre was slightly bent inwards. I tried bending out but didn't want to break it. So instead of breaking the arms I broke the clips that hold the arms in place
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415587061.382140.jpg
For anyone that has the gyre I don't recommend doing this. Idk if it voids the warranty.
Well after I broke the clips that helped a lot with the sound. So I left it on at 50% for a month or so cause a 50% I couldn't hear it. After I month I tried turning up and it was still dead quiet.

I really want to like this too, but why are there so many fanboys already? This company is new into powerheads. I need critical reviews. My tunze pumps have always been dead quite.
Sounds like a Vortech, makes a humming noise as it spins. Faster it spins, the louder the noise gets. I can post a video in a little bit to show u what I mean. The difference between this and the Vortech pump, is that it's in the water, so it's not as loud. I would def take the gyre over the Vortech noise, but obviously the Tunze is the quietest of the 3.

I'm not posting any real reviews yet, because I do believe it needs to be broken in. The only issue is that what if after a month it's still making the noise. Gunna call marine depot tomorrow and see what my options are. I wanna give it a chance to quiet down, but not if its past the return period and marine depot isn't willing to work with me. Might be sending this pump back tomorrow if that's the case. I do like it, but at this noise level I would rather add a Tunze to my tank so my tank doesn't get any louder. With 2-mp60s, it's already pushing it.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
although there is noise, its not loud and not as loud as my vortechs anymore. So I have turned up the juice since it quieted down. If noise is a factor, don't buy it or return it.

I think it works great for my peninsula tank since i am getting flow on the sand in the area my mp40s couldn't touch.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
so it has been 4 months since I installed my Gyre and I had yet to clean it or do anything to it. I installed it as it came, right out of the box.

At first it was noisy as hell and then over time it quieted down. I realized Last night that it was dead silent and had some algae on it. I figured this will be a good time to clean it out.

I pulled out the box it came in as I have all parts in there but remembered i pulled out the instruction manual and have no idea where it is at. So i proceeded without it, how hard can it be.

1. Not easy. I thought it was going to be a simple swap as it comes with replacement propellers (whatever they are called). you actually have to swap out these little plastic parts and that threw me way off because I didn't realize that. I had swapped the pieces and the Gyre didn't work. then I realized how the whole thing works and swapped it out.

2. cheap parts. when i did figure everything out, I tried to force the propeller onto the motor (center part) and it pushed the rubber piece into the propeller spool. I had to cut it out to get it out of there. there are 4 total so its fine i guess. I also broke one of the blades by squeezing it too hard. That really irritated me that it was so cheap.

3. diminished flow. Once I replaced everything and remounted it I noticed the flow was a lot stronger. I did not change any settings so the performance must of gone down. it was not much but overall I am still happy with the gyre. Noise is no longer a factor under 60% anything higher is annoying but I don't keep it higher than that anyway.

overall I am happy. my tank is a peninsula and this pump works for my set up. It is attached to the eurobracing at the top and does not have any wires cluttering my glass. I dont know how everyone is using their pump and I would like to see how other people have theirs set up. I think these pumps work better for people with larger tanks as it is good for pushing water further. It is more of a direct flow as opposed to my two MP 40's.

so it has been 4 months since I installed my Gyre and I had yet to clean it or do anything to it. I installed it as it came, right out of the box.

At first it was noisy as hell and then over time it quieted down. I realized Last night that it was dead silent and had some algae on it. I figured this will be a good time to clean it out.

I pulled out the box it came in as I have all parts in there but remembered i pulled out the instruction manual and have no idea where it is at. So i proceeded without it, how hard can it be.

1. Not easy. I thought it was going to be a simple swap as it comes with replacement propellers (whatever they are called). you actually have to swap out these little plastic parts and that threw me way off because I didn't realize that. I had swapped the pieces and the Gyre didn't work. then I realized how the whole thing works and swapped it out.

2. cheap parts. when i did figure everything out, I tried to force the propeller onto the motor (center part) and it pushed the rubber piece into the propeller spool. I had to cut it out to get it out of there. there are 4 total so its fine i guess. I also broke one of the blades by squeezing it too hard. That really irritated me that it was so cheap.

3. diminished flow. Once I replaced everything and remounted it I noticed the flow was a lot stronger. I did not change any settings so the performance must of gone down. it was not much but overall I am still happy with the gyre. Noise is no longer a factor under 60% anything higher is annoying but I don't keep it higher than that anyway.

overall I am happy. my tank is a peninsula and this pump works for my set up. It is attached to the eurobracing at the top and does not have any wires cluttering my glass. I dont know how everyone is using their pump and I would like to see how other people have theirs set up. I think these pumps work better for people with larger tanks as it is good for pushing water further. It is more of a direct flow as opposed to my two MP 40's.
Is it worth the money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
for me an my set up it was an absolute need to get good flow at the far end of my peninsula. I refused to clutter the end of it with an mp40 as the small end (non-overflow side) is the first thing you see when you walk in my house. so for that it is worth it.

as for the pump itself, although some parts are cheap. The amount of flow produced makes it worth the money. I dont wouldn't reccomend this on a cube or a tank that this pump will not flow from end to end. too much direct current and lack of nice flow settings

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
I have 2 on my 5x2x2 tank. Its freaking dope. Ive taken it apart many many many times because i r stoopid. But it works really well. Currently they are horizontal on opposite sides of the tank. Im thinking about putting both of them veritaclly on the back wall. See what happens hahaha. IMO its a great pump for the money. I saw a used one for sale for 200. Thats freaking cheap.

My Tank Build
Taking that u installed it upside down when u first installed it Steve. I could of guessed u would of had trouble on disassembling and reassemble. But a week or so past I posted a quick tip video on this just to help people like your self. But I'll post it here too
https://vimeo.com/121373130

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Taking that u installed it upside down when u first installed it Steve. I could of guessed u would of had trouble on disassembling and reassemble. But a week or so past I posted a quick tip video on this just to help people like your self. But I'll post it here too
https://vimeo.com/121373130
Haha I sooo wish I would have seen that before. Oh well. Pump is working great and I would recommend it.

www.LAreefsociety.org

Latest posts