Wtf is this!?

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
Ok help please! Seen this nasty orange slimy stuff all over the bottom of my zoa rock, looks to have openings like for filter feeding.

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
Sponge but believe it or not that's a bad sponge in the sense that it will suffocate what ever gets in its way. Hth

bugby220

I would just isolate the rock don't let it touch anything else. sponges are actually great filter feeders and they will absorb nutrients really well, if you have a refugium stick it there.

zigginit

I have those in the cracks of the rocks all over. they don't hurt anything. had them forever and never hurt anything.

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
I have those in the cracks of the rocks all over. they don't hurt anything. had them forever and never hurt anything.
Hope your right, I have zoas on it as well and don't think they will do that well in the fuge. Must not need light as they were only growing under the rock.

not all sponges are safe some excrete a mucus that eats it way into rock and coral so the sponge can grow into the rock or corals for camouflage and safety what u can do if u want to get rid of the sponge is peroxide dip or cut it off using a scalpel

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
not all sponges are safe some excrete a mucus that eats it way into rock and coral so the sponge can grow into the rock or corals for camouflage and safety what u can do if u want to get rid of the sponge is peroxide dip or cut it off using a scalpel
Straight peroxide? Or mixture of?

ypu can use 160z of peroxide to a half gallon of salt water and make sure the polyps are completely closed for no more than 4 min

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
Try'd peroxide, killed all the critters in the rock but sponge came back...maybe didnt use enough peroxide? Anything else you would suggest? now have it on two other rocks, and I dont want my whole aquarium ending up covered in this ugly stuff!

First have you tried to manually remove it?

Second how attached are you to those button polyps... maybe just toss the frag.

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
First have you tried to manually remove it?

Second how attached are you to those button polyps... maybe just toss the frag.
One of the rocks have some nice mushrooms I kinda liked, and the other some nuclear greens...nothing fancy just hate killing em. lol Maybe I can frag em off and then dry the rock?

hit it with a hard plastic brush... like, something to strip paint... even if you dig into the live rock, that's okay... but make sure you get rid of all of it...

i thought peroxide would've worked... it looked like zoa fungus to me...

I would rid the whole rock with the zoa, Ive had bad experiences with stuff like this spreading like wild fire, dont take the chance, so what if you lose a few zoa its better than it spreading and losing some more expensive ones!

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I would rid the whole rock with the zoa, Ive had bad experiences with stuff like this spreading like wild fire, dont take the chance, so what if you lose a few zoa its better than it spreading and losing some more expensive ones!
+1. I would chuck the whole thing. Don't wait for something like that to spread.

it looks like some brown slime fungus to me. Expose it to air and scrub it. Rinse it in tank water then replace. If that doesn't work, toss it