Old Cyano Outbreak?

CeeJai777

Hi everyone,
I just introduced myself in the new people's forum. I just got an already established 28g nanocube yesterday and noticed a few spots of Cyano bacteria. I emailed the previous owner and he said he had a breakout awhile ago. My question is: if there are visible Cyano spots on the tank, does that mean it is an active outbreak as in, it will spread? I would like to prevent this from happening, if so. Also, the rocks have a pinkish, slimy, webby-type algae on them...more a light, pale rose pink. Will try to take a pic, if necessary. Thank you in advance

It's normal because things were moved and there might have been a small cycle. Nothing to worry about it will go away by itself.
Some people use GFO to help reduce phosphate. That as far as my understanding goes and it's worked for me. Good luck more experience people can't comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tam

CeeJai777

I should be clear that nothing was removed from the tank except most of the water for the 45 minute drive home.

CeeJai777

The spots were already in the tank but I didn't notice them because they are in odd spots (one in the sand that can be viewed through front glass, one on a power head, and a couple spots on rocks)

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Hello, sounds like you make the move quick and easy. Although you did not remove much i would still anticipate some kind of mini cycle. Give it a few weeks to settle back in. I wouldn't worry too much. when in doubt, always test.

CeeJai777

Yes, Six2seven:) very easy. I definitely did not want to stir up the sand by removing any of it since that definitely would have caused more unstableness in the tank. Everything including the fish stayed in the tank. I'll keep an eye on the Cyano spots and hope it doesn't begin spreading.

Yes, Six2seven:) very easy. I definitely did not want to stir up the sand by removing any of it since that definitely would have caused more unstableness in the tank. Everything including the fish stayed in the tank. I'll keep an eye on the Cyano spots and hope it doesn't begin spreading.
It will spread but it's normal nothing be alarm by eventually it will starve itself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tam

CeeJai777

Just emailed the guy I got the tank from and he said he has had the tank for a year and the outbreak was in the first few months but these few small spots are left over and have been in the tank and have not spread so if that is true, that's good news. Dealt with Cyano before and it was a real nuisance