What Would you do !!!

So i recently had some guy text me wanting some corals, he goes to tell me he just set the tank up and when can he come by, i then tell him he should weight for the cycle and all that stuff and get more info from him. So hes doing a 10gl with hang on back filter and so on, so i explained to him that 10gl will be a little harder because small things can cause big change. He then decided to get a 45gl and i oferd up some of my established tanks water to help with the cycle or even maybe skip a cycle. since i change out 20gl on sundays i told him to come by and pick it up and i also sold him some freshly made saltwater at 1$ a gl. he got 20gl. So i then imformed him to try and get some live rock thats also establishd and its provably that he will skip a cycle. told him not to get any livestock or anything but to wait a week and we will test. So 3 days later he text me and says he got 2 damsels. UGH !!!! first mistake, then he said he had the fish store test and he just had a bit high nitrates, so i figured he provably did skip the cycle by using my water and live rock. So i went on friday to test his water and he also had coral frags along with 3 clowns. LOL i keep telling him to slow down, His ammonia is at 0 and nitirite is 0 but his nitrates are of the scale and phos also. So i tolf him to do 10gl water change. and he did told him to wait for nitrates to come down before any more fish also recomended getting rid of damsels. Today i go pick up some mangroves he gave to me and he has a yellow tang. OMG !!!!

He is an older Gent and loves the fish but tham he has no patience. Good guy all around but tham. I dont know if i should keep offering up advice if he keeps doing what he wants or just say screw it you do what you want.

What would you guys do.

I think it's Awesome that your being so helpful, but clearly he is new 2 the hobby and doesn't really care about the animals or your advice. What's the point of wasting your time if he will just do what he wants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah true but hes a really nice guy, older gentlemen just had a stroke a couple months back and lost some use of his right hand, i think the fish might have been mostly his wife but still lol. i guess i can just help how ever i can and if he does what i say then ok, and if not then its his own fault what happens.

Yeah true but hes a really nice guy, older gentlemen just had a stroke a couple months back and lost some use of his right hand, i think the fish might have been mostly his wife but still lol. i guess i can just help how ever i can and if he does what i say then ok, and if not then its his own fault what happens.
True, but I suppose being informative is the best ya can do. Reminding him success in this hobby is really only made possible with great patience. Some people just get so excited, nothing wrong with that but when the excitement leads 2 death of innocent animals, it sucks. I guess I would do the same help as best ya can. Keep it up bud :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah ill do what i can and hopefully i can get him to slow down, he says hes just so exited after seeing my tank, i remind him my tank is about 3 years in the making, it did not look like that over night.

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident (IEMAS)
Supporter
My Tank Build
Show him someones established tank and let that person explain the trails & errors, patience, and overall investment w research to finally have a successful tank! Or just help him set up a login to a reef forum so he can start researching

zigginit

I think we all been there though. He will learn more as time goes on. better to hear the info and at least be able to make sense of what happened/happening to his tank so he hopefully wont repeat the same mistakes. Better then going in blind and repeating

I've been thru most of what your experienceing....sometimes you just do what you can and wash your hands of it.

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
Sounds like the recent guy I tried to help. I thinks it's commendable what you are doing but some people will just not learn or want to do things using trial by error as their motto. I would just slowly back off if he continues to disregard any advice you give.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
People always do what they want to do. when he asks for advice, give it to him but just don't go out of your way to help him if he won't listen

So i recently had some guy text me wanting some corals, he goes to tell me he just set the tank up and when can he come by, i then tell him he should weight for the cycle and all that stuff and get more info from him. So hes doing a 10gl with hang on back filter and so on, so i explained to him that 10gl will be a little harder because small things can cause big change. He then decided to get a 45gl and i oferd up some of my established tanks water to help with the cycle or even maybe skip a cycle. since i change out 20gl on sundays i told him to come by and pick it up and i also sold him some freshly made saltwater at 1$ a gl. he got 20gl. So i then imformed him to try and get some live rock thats also establishd and its provably that he will skip a cycle. told him not to get any livestock or anything but to wait a week and we will test. So 3 days later he text me and says he got 2 damsels. UGH !!!! first mistake, then he said he had the fish store test and he just had a bit high nitrates, so i figured he provably did skip the cycle by using my water and live rock. So i went on friday to test his water and he also had coral frags along with 3 clowns. LOL i keep telling him to slow down, His ammonia is at 0 and nitirite is 0 but his nitrates are of the scale and phos also. So i tolf him to do 10gl water change. and he did told him to wait for nitrates to come down before any more fish also recomended getting rid of damsels. Today i go pick up some mangroves he gave to me and he has a yellow tang. OMG !!!!

He is an older Gent and loves the fish but tham he has no patience. Good guy all around but tham. I dont know if i should keep offering up advice if he keeps doing what he wants or just say screw it you do what you want.

What would you guys do.
Sometimes its better to learn the hard way unfortunately. You did what you could.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Lol yeah it happens all the time. I tell them what to do when I see them again they do the opposite. When the start to lose money is when they listen hopefully its not to late for him. But like everyone says if he doesn't listen just slowly back off.