Dosing question

So i just Got a Doesing Pump, i got the BM 3 pump from NGVU, and im planing on setting it up this weekend to dose my 2 part and my NOPOX No my question is right now i only dose 15ml Alk and 60ml Ca. the reason for this is that i add Soda ash in My ATO water. Now if i discontinue my Soda ash should i set the doser at 60ml for my Alk also since usually they are dosed the same ???

zigginit

my understanding is if they are not dosed in close increments then some precipitation my accrue and have a negative effect. kinda like a temporary imbalance

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
You need to test at the same time 2 days in a row with no dosing. That will give you the amount you need to dose per day. Your doser will dose them at separate times so don't worry about precipitation.

i was just wondering couse i already know the ammount ( 60ml ) for the ca to stay at 440 ppm. i was just wondering if i do the same for the Alk or not. since they usually soposto be dosed at the same ratio

[MENTION=7305]civicdemon[/MENTION] you got to really test to know how much your tank is consuming. On my setup, my alk and ca don't match daily dosage. (I.e. alk@40ml/12hr=9.5-10, Ca@70ml/12hr=450, mag@70ml/12hr=1500).

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
[MENTION=7305]civicdemon[/MENTION] you got to really test to know how much your tank is consuming. On my setup, my alk and ca don't match daily dosage. (I.e. alk@40ml/12hr=9.5-10, Ca@70ml/12hr=450, mag@70ml/12hr=1500).
I agree with James. And don't shoot for a specific number, shoot for a range. you'll go crazy if you try to keep you CA at exactly 440. Say between 420 - 450 is acceptable.

pgr11

Supporter
This
I agree with James. And don't shoot for a specific number, shoot for a range. you'll go crazy if you try to keep you CA at exactly 440. Say between 420 - 450 is acceptable.
And this. Testing is your only way to know. Test at the same time each day. I tested for a couple days then dosed and check again to make sure your in range

Ok cool guys thanks for the info. One more question. I'm testing the pump now. So if all is good tomorrow I will install it this weekend. Anyways my question is. If I set up the bm dosing pump in the middle of the day. The cycle won't start till midnight right ?

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
If you're worried about skipping 1 dose, it shouldn't be a concern.
Setup the doser. Test that evening. let the doser run for 2 days. Test again at the same time as first test and see if the parameters fluctuated and by how much. If the params didn't fluctuate too much, wait 2 more days and test again and adjust from there. Don't make adjustments too soon or too drastic of adjustments.

No I was just wondering couse like I said I would need to stop using the soda ash in my ato water. So I can just do that when. I get it set up. I'm not really to worried on ca. And dosing nopox because I know the Amounts on those to keep it in my range but since I use soda ash in ato water I'm not sure what that will be when I just use the alkalinity part of the 2 part. Since I do both now

BM doser are on a 24hr(military time). I setup all my dose to start an hour after my lights turns off. Don't worry bout setting up the dosing time. The doser program will separate your dose time so not all the solution will be dose at the same time. I start my dose at 0100. so pump starts at 0100, pump 2 starts at 0105, pump 3 starts at 0110..most reefers like to dose their alk at night when the lights are off.. I could be wrong...

If your planning on using the doser. I say use freshwater for your ato or else your gonnna get some fluctuating number and you won't be able to dial in your BM. Also once your current ato reservoir dries up, you would have to remeasure and recalculate your alk dosage again...save your self the headache

Newtothis. That's exactly my plan. Couse even now it fluctuates a bit since some days evaporation is higher than others. So that is the plan.

As far as dosing alk when lights are off . I don't think it will matter on my system since I have my refugium on a opposite light cycle.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Dosing during the day or night does not matter. Reactors melt media 24/7 and I had my doser set to 24 times a day which is every hour with no ill effects.

Replace the alk from the top off water and add clean Rodi.

The only way to tell what you should be dosing is by testing.

Best way to test IMO is 5 days twice a day.

Stop all dosing and water changes for 5 days and let your levels fall. Test daily once or twice a day at the same time of day and record your results. Get the average for consumption and calculate with the BRS tool calculator on the BRS site.

Above people mentioned 2 days which is fine but you always have to remember that there will be user error and 5 days is enough to get an average which will be more effective.

pgr11

Supporter
Dosing during the day or night does not matter. Reactors melt media 24/7 and I had my doser set to 24 times a day which is every hour with no ill effects.

Replace the alk from the top off water and add clean Rodi.

The only way to tell what you should be dosing is by testing.

Best way to test IMO is 5 days twice a day.

Stop all dosing and water changes for 5 days and let your levels fall. Test daily once or twice a day at the same time of day and record your results. Get the average for consumption and calculate with the BRS tool calculator on the BRS site.

Above people mentioned 2 days which is fine but you always have to remember that there will be user error and 5 days is enough to get an average which will be more effective.
5 days is what I did when I started dosing. You get a nice clear picture of what your tank is consuming

Latest posts