Carbon in Reactor.....or in a bag? Full Time..... or as Needed?

mkfmedic

So I did a search on this and found a lot of related threads but I'm still curious on your thoughts.

I did my maintenance today on my Carbon reactor and it was a pain. Just plain frustrating kind of morning. So I've read quite a lot of you are running carbon as needed and in many cases just using a ChemiPure type product or carbon in a bag in the sump. How is this working for you?

My sump has a GFO reactor and I've been running the carbon through another reactor pinched between two sponges at full flow. No problems really, other than the carbon reactor takes up room and as mentioned, is a pain in the *** when I need to do maintenance or replace the carbon.

I'm thinking of just dropping a bag of some carbon based product into my overflow section of my sump, before the socks, getting rid of the carbon reactor, and just seeing how it goes. Everything in the tank is doing well (With the exception of a Purple Stylo), and my numbers are all in check.

I could always go back to the reactor if I find it becomes a problem. What carbon product do you guys use? Plain old carbon in a bag, ChemiPure, ChemiPure Elite, ChemiPure Blue? Something else?

130 total water volume, medium bio-load, mixed reef but mostly SPS.

Your thoughts and patience with these dumb questions are always appreciated.

Mike

Last edited:
very good questions not a bad idea if the reactor is a hassle I would use about a table spoon per 10-25 g of water volume reactors are more efficient but I think in my opinion that a filter media bag will work just fine and you may not be able to tell the difference , this is not a dumb question at one point or another we all probably have contemplated the same issues . just glad you shared it with every one so we all can learn and share

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
ChemiPure Elite on a high flow area... I replace it every 3-4 months...

I run the BRS GFO/Carbon reactor..I and their media..nothing fancy here...I like it. Always great for that extra polishing of the water. And the reactors are easy to change.
I have also just put bags of carbon in the flow of my sump..works just as good I would say.
as far as carbon being used at all..I say use it..cant harm anything but your wallet and its cheap at that.

chemipure elite placed near the sump intake. Just got a few chemipure blues, but haven't put them in yet. Don't really know if it does anything or not... i'm using it b/c i took my gfo reactor offline (don't need it b/c my phosphates are manageable)

i throw my carbon in a bag. i just toss it in my filter sock. figured where would it get more flow then there. tried the carbon in a reactor thing. i agree it is a mess to change out.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Just wondering, have you tried not running carbon at all. try removing it and see the difference. I've never believed carbon was a necessity. I add it when I feel it is necessary.

i do like Johnnys advise of adding a bag in your filter sock. It has high flow and can also help catch some carbon debris.

So I did a search on this and found a lot of related threads but I'm still curious on your thoughts.

I did my maintenance today on my Carbon reactor and it was a pain. Just plain frustrating kind of morning. So I've read quite a lot of you are running carbon as needed and in many cases just using a ChemiPure type product or carbon in a bag in the sump. How is this working for you?

My sump has a GFO reactor and I've been running the carbon through another reactor pinched between two sponges at full flow. No problems really, other than the carbon reactor takes up room and as mentioned, is a pain in the *** when I need to do maintenance or replace the carbon.

I'm thinking of just dropping a bag of some carbon based product into my overflow section of my sump, before the socks, getting rid of the carbon reactor, and just seeing how it goes. Everything in the tank is doing well (With the exception of a Purple Stylo), and my numbers are all in check.

I could always go back to the reactor if I find it becomes a problem. What carbon product do you guys use? Plain old carbon in a bag, ChemiPure, ChemiPure Elite, ChemiPure Blue? Something else?

130 total water volume, medium bio-load, mixed reef but mostly SPS.

Your thoughts and patience with these dumb questions are always appreciated.

Mike
I only have 1 reactor. Plan is When I'm not running GFO, I will run carbon. I did it this way on my old tank and got good results. I don't think running carbon all the time benefited my tank. Run gfo for 2-3 weeks, then run carbon for a week. That lets your tank build up some phosphates for that week, and I've read online that carbon gets exhausted pretty quickly. Running carbon in a reactor for a month might be a big waste, if the carbon is exhausted after a week. Idk. Something to think about.

mkfmedic

Hey everybody..... Thanks so much for your thoughts!

I took the carbon reactor offline and added two bags of plain Chemi-Pure to the drain down section of my sump According to Chemi-Pure, I should use three bags with my water volume, but I'm just going to go with two for now. I have a small pump in there to keep detritus stirred up and combined with the flow from the tank, there is plenty of water movement so I do not think I have to worry about not getting enough flow through the product.

I noted the change and time in my maintenance spreadsheet and will keep track. Like a lot of folks, not sure if I will notice the difference. I considered going without Carbon at all, but since I am away for multiple days at a time, I just have a higher comfort level having something in there..... psychological for sure!

Thanks again for all your thoughts and take on Carbon!

Mike

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
Thinking out loud here... I'm in the process of setting up my new system and plan to sew my own filter socks from felt. I wonder if I could sew the socks with a big enough opening for a 4" pond basket, then put the pond basket in the top of the bag and put it in the holder with the basket holding the sock in place, then put whatever media (in a bag) in the basket so the water flows through it and then down through the sock. Just a thought.

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
Thinking out loud here... I'm in the process of setting up my new system and plan to sew my own filter socks from felt. I wonder if I could sew the socks with a big enough opening for a 4" pond basket, then put the pond basket in the top of the bag and put it in the holder with the basket holding the sock in place, then put whatever media (in a bag) in the basket so the water flows through it and then down through the sock. Just a thought.
Uhhhh woah that's cool. I like the idea.

Chemi pure is great but I found using carbon in a bag along w/ GFO is much cheaper and more efficient. Chemi pure elite didn't help my phosphates too much but when I used a bag of carbon in my sock/drain & added GFO reactor it helped bring my levels back down. Plus its pretty pricey to change every few months compared to carbon & GFO you can buy in bulk

Latest posts