please don't ever pay anyone to drill glass for you

My first time drilling glass. I can't believe how simple it was. I bought this diamond glass hole saw on eBay for 15$ or so. They had a bunch if Chinese ones for 4$ too. But I bought the us made one since I didn't want to wait And the listed one had a bunch if tank drilling info. So i knew it was good. You just need a corded power drill. The more revolutions the better.

I used a hammer drill, windex, and scrap wood to make a pilot hole so the drill bit doesn't slide around. Instantly it ate In to the glass. I then drilled with just one hand while spraying windex at the drill location to cool and lubricate. I taped the other end if the glass with masking tape to prevent chipping otw out . very light pressure required while drilling. Got it done in about 5 mins. I was waiting for someone to help me carry my display out for drilling. But Now I plan on drilling my display inside the house since its not too messy.

Here's the tank I just drilled.

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
good informational write up thread....i'm sure more people will feel comfortable trying it themselves...as for me, i'm a chicken so i will let the professionals handle that. lol

i've used the clay method... you get some cheap playdough, make a ring or a donut out of it... make it bigger than the hole, and fill it up with water and soap... you don't need it... you can also just put a hose and let the water run slowly down the hole... just put a towel on the other side so the glass doesn't hit the other glass plane...

good job..never heard of the windex thing..i just let a water hose keep it running over it while I drilled.
No matter how many I have done its always nail biting though.

I was going to do water. I know winDex isn't a good idea. Since its chemicals. But I wanted it to stay lubricated a little longer then water. I'm sure water is fine. I can't Run too much water in the house so I tested it with the tank outside.

water is better. Windex evaporates faster.......
That's what I was thinking. And bad for the tank but it's empty so whatever

I was going to do water. I know winDex isn't a good idea. Since its chemicals. But I wanted it to stay lubricated a little lIonger then water. I'm sure water is fine. I can't Run too much water in the house so I tested it with the tank outside.
And that makes sense why you did. I kinda figured that was the case. Can't run a hose inside the house

I'm surprised you used a hammer drill and it didn't shatter the glass. Did you use it in hammer mode or just drill mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

probably drill mode...

water with soap is better than windex... the bubbles help remove all of the nasty stuff and keeps them from going back into the cut...

I used it in drill mode of course. I just said hammer drill because a regular drill usually doesn't spin too fast. The windex actually foamed up pretty well but did dry fast. If I can carry the tank out I'll drill it with soap water. But I gotta tell you. I love the smell of windex. Lol

Nice!!! You have a link on which drill bit you use??
The item description button has a bulk head size and water flow rate table. And this seller specifies what size bulk head its meant for. Most people don't know how much bigger the hole is for a bulk head to actually fit. I didn't realize I needed almost a 2.5" home for a 1.5" bulkhead. Sch80 needs even bigger.
Http://m.ebay.com/itm/390672946894