I'm an Idiot!

mkfmedic

Well there you go, that about sums it up.

Recently I posted about my Purple Sylo taking a turn for the worse with the only thing noticeably different in my tank parameters being my ALK. I recently purchased a product, pH 8.3 upon the recommendation of someone when I inquired about slowly helping stabilize my pH. I recently saw a very slow downward trend pH, not really needing any dramatic action, but enough for me to notice, so I thought what the heck.

So I buy this product and begin to follow its directions. My pH would have a little upward movement, but according to my Apex, nothing at all like a spike (I have two pH probes). Perfect I thought, a slow increase, just what I wanted.... that is until this evening.

I was straightening up my supplies when I look closely at the bottle. ALK 8.3, a product "designed" to raise & stabilize ALK. Since I already dose ALK, Cal, and Mag, it was something that I did not need to be adding to my tank and I can only imagine led to the increase of my ALK.

I should have known better and back when I was a paramedic we were always taught to "DICE" any drug before administration. Maybe it applies to Reefing. So next time you add an additive, chemical, or food, do your self a favor to insure that you:

D - Drug (Fill in the Blank), make sure it is what you think it is.
I - Integrity, make sure the packaging has been stored properly and is in good condition.
C - Clarity/Contraindications, make sure that the product or liquid looks correct and that it is indeed what you want to use for whatever reason and it won't interfere with other "Things" with your tank.
E - Expiration, make sure it isn't expired.

So even if the ALK 8.3 did not lead to my recent spike of ALK from it's normal level, I should still know better to not add something to my reef tank that I did not intend to add. Luckily, nothing drastic happened to my reef other than my Purple Stylo. My fish and other SPS & LPS are fine, but what if I had been adding something else that could have caused a major crash!

So there you have it, I hope that this little narrative might help others in reinforcing check and recheck prior to adding anything to your tank.

Thanks for your time and I hope my lesson helps someone else.

Regards (Hat in Hand),

Mike

zigginit

Ha reminds me of the stories about having the emt had you the box and turns out u pushed bicarb in place of D50. Opps.

Mike. Start dosing kalkwasser if you want to "control" pH to a certain extend. I'll send you the dosing spreadsheet I have and apex programming if you want it. Or just swing by next time you are in the Irvine area :)

Latest posts