Natural Filtration? Any new updates?

bryantgam

Hey guys,
Hope you guys could lend me some advice. I am cycling a Ada 30c (7 gallons) right now and currently using a Ac50 to help clean and stabilize the tank. Im using Live sand (doing a deep sand bed) and live rock and some water from an established tank from another member to help with the cycling. The dilemma im having is getting that simple clean look but still achieving a stable tank. Ive been researching multiple forums and all the "natural filtered" tanks are from around 2011 etc. Any new advice how to go about this, i know alot of things have changed in the hobby since those 2011 tanks came out. I'll be using a mp10 to help with the circulation along with 10-20% water change weekly. When should i take off the HOB filter? Thanks!

xmas_one

I'm running a 60f right now. Started with an mp10, live rock/sand. Got tired of doing WCs and I ditched the mp10 for an AC70 with a PLS50 in it. I get a lot more mileage out of my water now.

bryantgam

I'm running a 60f right now. Started with an mp10, live rock/sand. Got tired of doing WCs and I ditched the mp10 for an AC70 with a PLS50 in it. I get a lot more mileage out of my water now.
i dont mind water changes, 20 % of 7gallons is 1.5 which is not that bad weekly. I just want that clean look with no HOB ! btw if you ever breakdown that 60-F, im your guy to sell to hahah.

Careful with a DSB in a pico tank, it could get ugly very quickly. If you wanted to go without a HOB filter, you should have started one without it. This is referred to as the Berlin Method and its very easy when you get the hang out it. You won't need a protein skimmer though as frequent water changes will do. Add more smaller pieces of live rock and make sure there is enough flow that water distributes throughout the tank. IMHP I could reduce your sand bed to about 1 inch. I am doing this with my 12 gallon sps tank.

bryantgam

Careful with a DSB in a pico tank, it could get ugly very quickly. If you wanted to go without a HOB filter, you should have started one without it. This is referred to as the Berlin Method and its very easy when you get the hang out it. You won't need a protein skimmer though as frequent water changes will do. Add more smaller pieces of live rock and make sure there is enough flow that water distributes throughout the tank. IMHP I could reduce your sand bed to about 1 inch. I am doing this with my 12 gallon sps tank.
Dang i didnt know it was better to not start with a filter. Thanks for the advice.