Low temp, corals look fine WTF!?

xmas_one

So, since it's been cold at night I decided to check the temp on my garage frag tank. Everything, zoas, clams, sps, torches, hammers, flame angel and a six line all look totally normal. Temp was 68! Anybody else have any low temp experiences?

Mine gets that low sometimes, dont like to leave the heater plugged in, and can never predict the weather. Everything seems to be okay when it happens.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
How many degree did it drop when it got down to 68. I normally run my tanks in low 70s in the wintertime

xmas_one

How many degree did it drop when it got down to 68. I normally run my tanks in low 70s in the wintertime
I'm not super sure, I had a fan running on the tank with the lights when it was hot a month or two ago, I took the fan off when it started getting cooler and never put a heater on the system. It's about 60 gallons total, I figure the temps probably weren't swinging much over 4-6 degrees, but who knows.

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
Thats interesting...that was a topic of conversation not.too long ago. We see at wat point our corals suffer and die when too hot but I have never heard what point in the low extreme are corals affected the same way. Still curious how low is too low.

gonumber24

Premium Member
Supporter
I think if it is a gradual drop in temperature, it could get pretty low. Deepwater species live in pretty cool water. If you've ever scuba dived in the tropics, you'll notice the top four feet of water is warm but when you go lower, the temperature drops quite a bit.

This happened to me 2 days in a row due to a faulty heater. Dropped to. 70 from 78 with no I'll affects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts