? for Bio Pellet users

Thanks for all the great info you guys really helps a lot. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices. Please let me know which one you guys would highly recommend:
1. Aquamaxx
2. Seaside Aquatics
3. Cadlight BR1

Thanks in advance

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
as m3ace9 said earlier, biopellets should be heavily researched and not used as a quick fix for nitrates. every tank is different so it takes a long time to figure out exactly how much you need for your tank. IMO it should never be added when you have multiple problems with your tank. only when you can identify the changes the biopellets make to your tank.

I use the cadlight reactor as well. i used a paperclip to clear the holes in the plate when it gets clogged. it will mainly get clogged when you have high phosphates i noticed but the paperclip works well.

One thing I didn't like about the aquamaxx was the inlet and outlet size. You can't really position it in a tight space due to the large hose size.

Interesting, I setup my pellets up with a cadlights reactor and once i figured out how much pellets to use for my bio-load, i never messed with it unless i am cleaning it. Also everyone is going to have different OPINIONS about reactors design and which is the best.
Yes, its alls all about preference. In my experience the aquamaxx allows more flow than other reactors but relieves the actual pellets from being continuously grinded against themselves. I have never had to do maintenance on this reactor due to lack of performance, this is why its my preference.

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
I just set my aquamaxx reactor right ontop of my skimmer pump. it works like a champ and has not been cleaned in months. I liked the CADLIGHTS reactor but after i got it home i realized all the plumbing was metric. It was all i could do not to throw it on the ground and stomp it into a million pieces. Merica

Yes, its alls all about preference. In my experience the aquamaxx allows more flow than other reactors but relieves the actual pellets from being continuously grinded against themselves. I have never had to do maintenance on this reactor due to lack of performance, this is why its my preference.
which one do you have and what pump are you using?

I just set my aquamaxx reactor right ontop of my skimmer pump. it works like a champ and has not been cleaned in months. I liked the CADLIGHTS reactor but after i got it home i realized all the plumbing was metric. It was all i could do not to throw it on the ground and stomp it into a million pieces. Merica
Don't do that, I converted my BR1 to standard size. [MENTION=5140]Six2seven[/MENTION] I usually just run hot water to clean the plate, but then again I haven't really cleaned it in like 6+month...didnt know that the clumping and clogging due to high phosphate...

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Don't do that, I converted my BR1 to standard size. [MENTION=5140]Six2seven[/MENTION] I usually just run hot water to clean the plate, but then again I haven't really cleaned it in like 6+month...didnt know that the clumping and clogging due to high phosphate...
I'm just guessing from experience. could possibly be heavy grinding of the pellets. i haven't clean it in quite a while, phosphates are no where near they used to be which made me think that is what it was.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Which aquamaxx do you have and do you have any issues pellets clumping?
The standard one? If the flow is too low yeah they clump but I think it also has to do with the pellets I use they might be too small.

The reason there is clumping is because of lack of mulm export. Yes pellets needs to tumble buy the extra bacterial bloom that build on the pellets needs to be exported and skimmed out. When this is not happening the buildup eventually hardens and this is why clogging happens. The aquamaxx reactor spins in a circular motion rapidly to endure mulm export but while the entire group of pellets is rotating the pellets are not moving as fast and this prevents the grinding