Aiptasia help

m00u1111

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to rid my reef tank of these things? Made a really bad rookie mistake and did not quarantine some coral i purchase from a LFS. Now I have about 6 that i can count. Is there an easy way to rid them? Are there any reef safe critters I can put in to help with eradicating them? Thanks in advance, -Mike.

If you recommend live stock to help eat it, please keep in mind my coral and fish stock

My tank specs:

80 gal

Coral:
bunch of zoas
some chalice
monti cap
digitata
other SPS (forgot the name (qty5))
shrooms
green star paly
Torch

Fish:
Hovan wrasse
clown pair
Anthias pair
and the usual CUC.
Fire shrimp (2 of them)

Peppermint shrimp, I'd say 5 would do. It'll take a week or two but they'll get them. How big are they? They won't eat anything over an inch in diameter.

Last edited:

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
If it is only 6 or so I would just pull out the rock they are in and manually remove them outside the tank before they spread

m00u1111

Thanks All.

Regarding peppermint- I have 2 fire shrimp. Will they eat the peppermint?

Removing rocks- Unfortunately, they are on multiple rocks and i would have to pretty much take out all of the rocks just to get at them (That would be plan Z, LOL)

nudibranch - Was looking into that but they say it might die before it can find all of the aiptasia (is that true?)

I will try and hit up DEC6 to enquirer on them.

Copperband butterfly...mine finished off all my aptaisa in 2 weeks. I tried peppermint before but they don't do much even though I saw them eat at the store. Nudibranch are expensive and might be fish food before they have a chance to work.

Thanks All.

Regarding peppermint- I have 2 fire shrimp. Will they eat the peppermint?

Removing rocks- Unfortunately, they are on multiple rocks and i would have to pretty much take out all of the rocks just to get at them (That would be plan Z, LOL)

nudibranch - Was looking into that but they say it might die before it can find all of the aiptasia (is that true?)

I will try and hit up DEC6 to enquirer on them.
I have of them being aggressive to anything other than themselves. Peppermints hide really well and only come out at night, usually.

xmas_one

Do like me and get one peppermint shrimp per 10 gallons and after they eat your aiptasia, your BTA can have some expensive snacks.

My vote is to first try the nudibranch, it's the safest and least invasive way of getting rid of apt. When you get them make sure you they are of decent size, like 1" or bigger.

This is my 2 part procedure for Aiptasia on glass/plastic/smooth surfaces or rock.

Smooth surfaces:
1. Cover the Aiptasia with AiptasiaX or Joe's Juice.
2. I usually wait at least 20 minutes or whenever it has shrunk to a little blob, then I use the needle tweezers from the frag kit I have to pluck it off the surface and remove it from the tank. Its a bad pic but the second from the left side.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=28690

On a rock/rough surface:
1. Cover the Aiptasia with AiptasiaX or Joe's Juice.
2. I usually let it sit for 20 minutes or so, remove the rock and use a lighter and put the flame to where the Aiptasia is until I think it's burned off. Wash the rock off in a container with tank water and put it back in.

I did this for several Aiptasia in my tank about a month ago and I haven't seen them since. For me, the second step is required because they always seem to grow back after using the AiptasiaX or Joe's Juice. I can't have shrimp and other fish that will steal food from my dendros so this was my experiment/experience and it seems to have worked for me. Berghia Nudibranches worked the best for me in the past, too bad they are hard to find locally.

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to rid my reef tank of these things? Made a really bad rookie mistake and did not quarantine some coral i purchase from a LFS. Now I have about 6 that i can count. Is there an easy way to rid them? Are there any reef safe critters I can put in to help with eradicating them? Thanks in advance, -Mike.

If you recommend live stock to help eat it, please keep in mind my coral and fish stock

My tank specs:

80 gal

Coral:
bunch of zoas
some chalice
monti cap
digitata
other SPS (forgot the name (qty5))
shrooms
green star paly
Torch

Fish:
Hovan wrasse
clown pair
Anthias pair
and the usual CUC.
Fire shrimp (2 of them)
Copperband bfly worked for me. Took them all out in a week or two.

I have an aptasia wand you can borrow. Its easy to use and fries the little buggers. Its also one of the more zen things I like doing in my tank

I have an aptasia wand you can borrow. Its easy to use and fries the little buggers. Its also one of the more zen things I like doing in my tank
Oooo can I borrow it??? I haven't won one yet. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts