Do I need to cycle a new sump?

I am thinking about a sump upgrade but can't help to wonder if I can just do the replacement straight up or need to cycle the new sump first before swapping out the old one. Has anyone done this before? Pls let me know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it is not necessary to cycle a sump. just swap them out and then monitor your water params as you'll likely stir up a bunch of nasty. I'd probably do a your regular water change right after just to be safe.

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
Are you adding a large % of overall water volume to the tank with the sump upgrade? If not, then no. But if you have a 24 gallon nano cube and go to a 40 gallon sump. Then you might have some cycling going on.

As long as you kill your return pump before you start messing with te sump you should be alright. All the crap at the bottom of your old sump will get washed out

Are you adding a large % of overall water volume to the tank with the sump upgrade? If not, then no. But if you have a 24 gallon nano cube and go to a 40 gallon sump. Then you might have some cycling going on.

As long as you kill your return pump before you start messing with te sump you should be alright. All the crap at the bottom of your old sump will get washed out
Thanks Andy. I currently have a 35 gallon sump to a 125 gallon tank. It's only filled 30% bc the thin acrylic would bow out if there is more water. I am considering going to a glass 55 gallon sump and I will fill 80% of that. So I'm adding 33.5 gallons of water. I guess that's quite significant.

I agree with Andy. When you swap sumps... leave in the last 3 or 4" of water in the sump and don't stir it up if you can help it.

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
So your going from a 135 to a 155. I think you'll be fine. Your tank shouldn't cycle. We do that much in water changes.

I agree with Andy. When you swap sumps... leave in the last 3 or 4" of water in the sump and don't stir it up if you can help it.
Hi Cody, I plan to shut off the return valve and do the swap. Other than equipment and live rocks from the existing sump, there will be nothing else from my existing sump going to the new one. That should be good right? Am I missing anything?

Should be fine, just don't mess with the rocks and such until you've drained the water you want for the new one. I would also rinse the rocks in saltwater for a few second in a bucket to remove the debris that has collected.

So your going from a 135 to a 155. I think you'll be fine. Your tank shouldn't cycle. We do that much in water changes.
Thanks Andy, that makes perfect sense.

Should be fine, just don't mess with the rocks and such until you've drained the water you want for the new one. I would also rinse the rocks in saltwater for a few second in a bucket to remove the debris that has collected.
Got it Cody. I won't do anything to the sump rocks other than rinsing them with SW and transferring them to the new sump.