Rainwater for my reef? Its FREE! Bad Idea?

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
back on topic. i dont think its a problem cause dave o2manyfish has a out door sump fuge and everything rain water gets in it. his tank is awesome but his water volume is like over 1000 gallons.

jcgalliano

I would say bad idea especially if you don't have appropriate test kits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
back on topic. i dont think its a problem cause dave o2manyfish has a out door sump fuge and everything rain water gets in it. his tank is awesome but his water volume is like over 1000 gallons.
I would have to disagree with that statement, rain water floats on top of saltwater which can be skimmed off. :p

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident (IEMAS)
Supporter
My Tank Build
Cylix [MENTION=3241]cymaster007[/MENTION] used to have an outdoor system and I think remember him saying some rain water got into his system and then his tank got infected with a brown algae of some sort. Maybe Cylix or other reefers with outdoor systems can chime in
My outdoor tank had a large algae bloom when rainwater got in it. It had something in it that fueled the bloom- I did not test for metals or anything else in it (I was not letting it in intentionally. The system was approx 500g of water volume w/ a good skimmer and very small bioload.

I would not recommend it in California. I would consider using it maybe if it was rainwater from the fiji islands or something....

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
My outdoor tank had a large algae bloom when rainwater got in it. It had something in it that fueled the bloom- I did not test for metals or anything else in it (I was not letting it in intentionally. The system was approx 500g of water volume w/ a good skimmer and very small bioload.

I would not recommend it in California. I would consider using it maybe if it was rainwater from the fiji islands or something....
you need to change your location mr no tax state

zigginit

every wonder why LA area sky is brown........

I think unless you plan on doing this large scale all the time then a small experiment in your reef tank is not worth it. or set up a new tank just to see what happens with 100% rain water mixed into salt water. put a crab and one fish and some crappy zoa.

I wouldn't risk it. U invest a lot of money on ur tank and u try to save $10 by using rain water and crash ur tank. Not worth it. Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't risk it. U invest a lot of money on ur tank and u try to save $10 by using rain water and crash ur tank. Not worth it. Just my 2 cents.
soo true

but i look at all this water falling from the sky. then I look at all the waste water coming from by RODI unit. I feel like im stranded at sea, surrounded by water and not allowed to drink any of it.

besides, all this rain water collects in the reservoir 5 miles from my house, gets pump up the hill and through some membranes, so I use it anyway. just trying to save some steps if possible

zigginit

soo true

but i look at all this water falling from the sky. then I look at all the waste water coming from by RODI unit. I feel like im stranded at sea, surrounded by water and not allowed to drink any of it.

besides, all this rain water collects in the reservoir 5 miles from my house, gets pump up the hill and through some membranes, so I use it anyway. just trying to save some steps if possible
haha that's kinda true. didn't look at it like that.

Latest posts