Which Nitrate Test Kit to Use

zigginit

its been forever since I tested my nitrates with a test kit that was not expired. it always showed up at 0 anyways. But I want to test it again with a new kit, one that is reliable. any suggestions? API is no good right? I hear they can be effected by something that gives a false 0. I was thinking Salifert test kit. any opinions?

I honestly don't like the Salifert test kit because it's so difficult to tell the shade of pink that it reads. You always have to look to the side of the the cup which magnifies the results and you have to divide it by 10, so I always get low readings. That's just been my experience with it.

zigginit

I honestly don't like the Salifert test kit because it's so difficult to tell the shade of pink that it reads. You always have to look to the side of the the cup which magnifies the results and you have to divide it by 10, so I always get low readings. That's just been my experience with it.
so which one do you like then?

zigginit

I heard the red sea kit is pretty easy to read and fairly accurate if done correctly.
I'm using the red sea algae control test kit for no3 and po4. Very easy to use. I'm not color blind but very shade handicapped and I can tell the difference between colors. Found it online for $35.

I use Red Sea Nitrate Pro test Kit. Seems like the best kit. I measured with a Kpi 6 days ago and got a reading. I started vodka dosing 5 days ago and measure with this kit and it was at 0 soOOoo ? I dunno

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I have the salifert and have a difficult time distinguishing between the shades. If I had to buy one, it would be the Red Sea pro test.

I have been using the Red Sea Pro as well. I have no problem distinguishing the colors. I also like that you have the option for high range as well as low range. I recommend it, for whatever that is worth...

zigginit

I ended up getting an API because it was cheap... I figured it should be able to register something if there was something to register. the test came back 0 nitrates. kinda figured it would show that, but still wonder if its accurate.