ROWAphos

I have had phosphate problems with my tank since I set it up. Tried a bunch of different gfo but could never get it under control. PO4 never measured below .36. Did all the testing and no PO4 in ro water and none in the fresh saltwater I was using for water changes. I was at the point of shutting down the tank. I read good reviews on rowaphos and figured I would give it one last shot. Measure po4 in tank at .36, confirmed ro and fresh saltwater at 0, did 10% w/c and re tested, still at .36. Set up gfo in reactor at 4 pm. Measured at 6 am and found po4 dropped to .16. So far I'm pretty impressed, time will tell how long it will last but so far so good.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/rowaphos-phosphate-remover.html

has anyone else used this? Opinions?

I use it religiously. I've got a heavily stocked tank and feed even heavier. Just picked up a 5 kg bucket yesterday actually. I use a small dose of Brightwell PhosE after ever water change, but the Rowaphos works great. I use to be at .40, now I don't go over .1

I agree with all the rowaphos comments but I found it to be messy. The once a month changes got to be a nuisance. I switched to EcoBac Plus bio-pellets and have had undetectable phosphates for the last 8 months. My nitrates are 2-3 ppm. Usually at 2 ppm. I know there are some bio-pellet haters but it has been great for me. I add additional pellets every three months as they deplete. Low maintenance. I have a 65 g display with 25 g sump. I am a generous feeder. I have 6 fish and tons of coral....

I agree with all the rowaphos comments but I found it to be messy. The once a month changes got to be a nuisance. I switched to EcoBac Plus bio-pellets and have had undetectable phosphates for the last 8 months. My nitrates are 2-3 ppm. Usually at 2 ppm. I know there are some bio-pellet haters but it has been great for me. I add additional pellets every three months as they deplete. Low maintenance. I have a 65 g display with 25 g sump. I am a generous feeder. I have 6 fish and tons of coral....
Is this the new all in one combo? Refilling GFO is a pain.

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm with Damien. Are they the all in one? You like them?? Any chance you've written a review somewhere? Wondering how much your using vs bio load & how quickly they are dissolving. Thank you!

I'm with Damien. Are they the all in one? You like them?? Any chance you've written a review somewhere? Wondering how much your using vs bio load & how quickly they are dissolving. Thank you!
EcoBaK Plus is the all-in-one. Here is a thread on R2R http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/warner-marine/149859-ecobak-plus-bio-pellets.html. Jon Warner, the creator of EcoBak Plus, is always willing to answer questions. The recommended ratio is 500 ml of pellets to 100 gallons of water. My total water volume is about 63 g (total gallons less sand and rock). I run about 350 ml. I ran it a little lower (300 ml) and got some bio load from it. The bio-load is similar to a stringy bacteria bloom. I added about 50 ml and it's not producing anything. If you route the reactor return into the skimmer, it helps with skimming anything that may be produced. It takes awhile to dissolve. I add about 100 ml every three months. Dissolution will be predicated on the flow going through the pellets and load. A light tumble is recommended and is what I run. In the picture, the center chamber houses my reactor. Notice that the return goes to the right which is where the skimmer is. I have nothing but good things to say about the product. I will admit that I dose 3 ml Red Sea NOPOX daily. For some reason I get a little cyano without the 3 ml of Red Sea...go figure.

Sump.jpg