Ideal size and why?

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
what is your opinion.... more height or more depth? I know some people say not over 18 or 20 for ease of maintenance... if you didn't maintain your tank would your idea of size change? I personally would prefer 30"tall and 24" deep versus the other way around.

kinda depends on what you want in the tank, ehh? corals vs. fish vs. mixed.

there's probably a reason why there are "standard" sizes for the 120 / 180. the 2x2 cross section splits the difference.

personally, if money was a non factor (but still staying within the realm of "reality", ie, no GIGANTIC 2000 gal system), i would want a 8' x 32" (w) x 22" (t).

i like a tank that has depth, and my short arm makes anything longer than 22" annoying to work on.

kinda depends on what you want in the tank, ehh? corals vs. fish vs. mixed.

there's probably a reason why there are "standard" sizes for the 120 / 180. the 2x2 cross section splits the difference.

personally, if money was a non factor (but still staying within the realm of "reality", ie, no GIGANTIC 2000 gal system), i would want a 8' x 32" (w) x 22" (t).

i like a tank that has depth, and my short arm makes anything longer than 22" annoying to work on.
I'm with Jeff, its hard to get the back corners of a 24" tall tank for me. Or to reach down to the back if something falls between rocks.

Also I would want a coast to coast or similar overflow (external overflow), no overflow box inside the tank for me. When I get a larger tank some day that's what I'll do... need a house or condo first.

Last edited:

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I think if you have a canopy, taller is better but no canopy, no more than 20" tall. Depth, the more the merrier but nothing less than 24". PIA to aquascape anything narrower.

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
See most people's reason is ease of maintenance... if you didn't maintain your tank and had someone do it would you go full reef and be say 30-36" tall?

See most people's reason is ease of maintenance... if you didn't maintain your tank and had someone do it would you go full reef and be say 30-36" tall?
I had a tank 36 inches tall and it sucked. Couldnt place corals very well and the maint sucked. Also its very tough to get good light to the bottom unless you have some crazy metal halide or very narrow optics on 3 w leds giving it a crappy look. Tanks 24 inches and under give you a lot more options with proper lighting and the ability to place whatever kind of corals you want with out being contricted on lighting requirements.

I think long short tanks look funny. I like a tank that is balanced both in lenght and height however this isnt always possible so a compromise has to be made. Ultimately I want a 60 - 72 x 30 x 24 - 30
30" depth makes for amazing aquascape possibilties and more swim room. I also like 24 - 30 tall for a taller scape and more room for coral. I dont worry about cleaning and stuff because I have long arms anyway and will stick my arm in all the way to the pit if I have to.

i'm cool with small or average... but i have to keep it under 7" or else it just looks hilarious...

oh wait...

anything that's 24" deep front to back, and nothing over 24"... my next tank will be a 90 or less... i want 36x24x24" tall or 20" tall... especially since i'm going barebottom... i don't want salty armpits... i hate getting my armpits wet placing a chalice on the bottom of the tank...

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
My ideal tank now would be 72x36x24 peninsula with an external overflow.

After having a 22 inch tank once I prefer the taller 24 and it visibly looks better.

After having a 72 inch long tank once, I really fell in love with the extra foot that the tangs can swim in.

I have never had a tank that deep but I have seen 32-36" deep tanks and loved them. The aqua scape possibilities are huge.

now that I have my peninsula tank, I really, really, love that I can place frags on both sides on my aquascape. I have corals on the backside of my tank that no one can see without hanging off the railing of my stairs (which is what i do). it also makes it easier to keep the back wall clean.

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
My 225g was 30" tall and was a true "show" tank that got all the ooh's and aaah's but when it came time for regular maintenance, my wet pits hated that tank. lol...so never again unless it's just a fowlr and bb so i can just put a pump on the bottom to blow everything up into the overflow box. so now ideally the best tank for me is 22" tall.

My 225g was 30" tall and was a true "show" tank that got all the ooh's and aaah's but when it came time for regular maintenance, my wet pits hated that tank. lol...so never again unless it's just a fowlr and bb so i can just put a pump on the bottom to blow everything up into the overflow box. so now ideally the best tank for me is 22" tall.
I have a 225g that's 30 high. It's beutiful buuuut Jesse is right I hate having to get in for any reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
I think the only way I'd go larger than 24" wide is if it was a peninsula. I have a 5x2x2 now and the rock work takes up a lot of space. I know if it was wider Id just have more rock. Personally I think the standards are the perfect balance of dimensions.

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
If you don't have to maintain it and are cool with softies LPS I would go 30" tall/deep for sure. The taller tank really balances it out.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Well if I didn't have to maintain it and other dims being unrestricted I'd go 8'lx4'dx30"h. I think it's more ratio and there usually is a "golden rule" when it comes to aesthetics. If it's a super deep tank you'd naturally want some height otherwise it would look like a giant frag tank that ur looking in from the front instead of top down view.

Scout pig

My vote is for 30" wide, which provides for more aquascape room, and only 24" tall, which most of the lights easily penetrate.

Latest posts