Thinking about building my own Recirculating BP reactor

Well I've been researching like crazy for a new bio pellet reactor. I'm currently using a CADLights recirculating reactor, but it's not working like it should because I have too many pellets in it. The reactor worked great on my 180g tank, but I think a bigger reactor would work better for my new tank.

I looked into reef dynamics, but he seems really over priced. I starting looking for other options, and came across quite a few people who are building their own recirculating bio pellet reactor by modifying reg media reactors. Here's a couple links to some build threads:
http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/do-...yourself-recirculating-biopellet-reactor.html

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2362620

A really good video of one working
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hdVDtum2EEU

Another video
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qfY4nN3C5bM

The parts list is pretty cheap, and it looks like a few hours and a 12 pack and I should have something ready to roll. Would probably use a eheim compact pump or a Sicce. Both around $100. Plus plumbing and a couple uni seals.

For something so easy, surprised more people aren't building these. Really, all the tools you need is a drill, step drill bit, and pvc cutters.

What u guys think?

I have a aquamaxx reactor that I was going to turn in to a recirculating reactor. I bought some uniseals and fittings to tie in some 1/4" tubing. But the more I think about it, I can just tap the 1/4" fittings into the lid, and just tie in a pump into the stock inlet and outlet, and just have it gravity fed from the display with a slow drip. No need for the uniseals. You could always close the valve on the feed from the tank if you turn your return off for an extended amount of time, but a slow feed shouldn't allow too much water into the sump when the returns off. Any opinions on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419010427.604032.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419010446.470049.jpg
I did this was super easy, took an hour tops. I didn't need it in the end. This reactor wasn't ideal cuz of how close the exhaust and intake were but it worked good. I just don't have enough of a bio load.

I have a large and small Reef Dynamic reactor, large one used, small one new. I have gone a different direction and will sell them if anyone is interested? 500 gallon model $325, 135 gallon model new $225. I also have 11 new 1 litter Ecobak standard pellets for $25 each or 2 for $45. Cleaning out the garage. I like Do it yourself sometimes, but the RD reactors are pretty sweet:)

Sorry for the Hyjack.

Buy the Reactor and I will throw in a liter of pellets.

View attachment 40324 View attachment 40325
I did this was super easy, took an hour tops. I didn't need it in the end. This reactor wasn't ideal cuz of how close the exhaust and intake were but it worked good. I just don't have enough of a bio load.
This is how I was thinking about setting mine up, but no inlet at the pump. I wanted to use 1/4" tubing to feed it and direct the outlet towards the skimmer.

I have a aquamaxx reactor that I was going to turn in to a recirculating reactor. I bought some uniseals and fittings to tie in some 1/4" tubing. But the more I think about it, I can just tap the 1/4" fittings into the lid, and just tie in a pump into the stock inlet and outlet, and just have it gravity fed from the display with a slow drip. No need for the uniseals. You could always close the valve on the feed from the tank if you turn your return off for an extended amount of time, but a slow feed shouldn't allow too much water into the sump when the returns off. Any opinions on that?

I think the main reason for using the uniseals, is because U can get a more consistent tumble with the 90* pvc inside the reactor. If your happy with the tumble U get now, then your good to go with using the original plumbing. I think that's most people's complaint though, is the traditional upflow reactors aren't the greatest at tumbling pellets. Especially on larger systems that need a lot of pellets

Last edited:
I built one using an aquamaxx reactor. It was ok short term. The problem I ran into was the pellets getting into the recirculating pump and seizing it in the long run.

I'm also building my own atm... I've nextreef reactor as well and 4" acrylic tubing to build from scratch.. I bought all kinds of fittings (elbow, T's, union, etc) cost me not too cheap but way cheaper then any BP Reactor sellers. I just can't justify how one pump and pvc, acrylic can cost over $300.00??? Once I finish making one from scratch, i'd sell it around $120.00 with the pump to cover my cost.

Latest posts