Making my own salt water

wrxpip

I was wondering if I can make my own salt water at home with this system that I use to drink water. The system that I use is called Remington Pure. Instead of going to the store to purchase maybe I can do this at home, might be a little more time consuming but it beats driving to the store as well. Any inputs or suggestions. Thanks.

http://remingtonpure.com/technology/index.php

xmas_one

Just get a legit RO/DI from Spectrapure or BRS. That system you posted only has a 2.5g reservoir and also has some "remineralization" after the RO. Probably nice for drinking water, not so good for reefs.

The goal is to get "0" or near zero TDS. I used to do that and I added a T split with a valve to my existing drinking system. For the fish water I let it run through an DI canister.

After doing that for like a year and too much hassle, I set up a different system outside for the reef :)

I was wondering if I can make my own salt water at home with this system that I use to drink water. The system that I use is called Remington Pure. Instead of going to the store to purchase maybe I can do this at home, might be a little more time consuming but it beats driving to the store as well. Any inputs or suggestions. Thanks.

http://remingtonpure.com/technology/index.php
I would test the water for tds ( total dissolved solids) you want 0 I wouldn't settle for anything less this will prevent many problems down the road like algae, cyano , diatom ect ect people do not realize that home water systems usually have a tds reading from 50 to 250 depending on the unit and the stages of filtration so I feel it is important to really have a specific unit with a tds meter and refillable stages to ensure that you are doing all you can to protect your investment . so to prevent headaches trying to figure out why and a ugly tank use a good rodi filtration unit with a tds meter so you can enjoy your tank also it is good to test your tap water for tds so you can have a idea of what you are dealing with

I know in Cypress where my shop is , our tds jumps really high it runs from 400 ppm to 650 ppm of tds. so as Vu said "t"ing off from a drinking water filtration unit and adding a di can get spent rather quickly for that to work you would need to the tds to be at least 20 ppm and under for the di to work properly and so it doesn't get used up quickly and it ends up cost a lot $$

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
investing in a reef quality RO/DI will save you a lot of time and trouble. Using a RO filter for drinking might be more harmful than good.

wrxpip

Thanks for input and info. I might go with a separate RO/DI system, i just figured if I am getting a reading of 0 i should be ok.