Flipper Max video ... Great tool!!

xmas_one

Dan xmasone is going to try it out. I'm going to keep the other I have as it does work for my light coraline so I'll still use it until I can get a larger one.
I got Cody's old medium flipper today. I tried it out on the front of my 90g (36x24x24) planted tank I have been neglecting in the garage. The glass is 3/8" (aka 10mm) and it was covered in GSA (green spot algae). GSA is pretty much the planted tank equivalent of coraline in a reef, something you pretty much have to get your armpits wet and use a razor blade. I was impressed with the flipper, it took about 15 minutes to clean the whole front pane, about the same amount of time it would take with the razor blade, minus the wet arm and torqued back. I found it works the best using short strokes, ~3-5", if you run it too fast or too long of a stroke, it kinda just skates over the top. 9/10, would buy again.

I'm going to have the same problem... as well as the side where I have a small tank really close to my main tank. Can I hold the magnet inside the water?

I used the medium on the side this evening... chip chip chip chip chip so **** annoying hehe my tank was pink for a while. I got half the side done and quit. I dosed some calcium in the process. ;)

Hey Bean,
That is some serious coraline algae! I'd like to use that for a before an after pic.
Anyway...a tip if you think the Flipper Max is too strong....I've actually put some thicker felt for the handle (with double stick tape) when I thought it was too strong for a tank. The added felt thickness decreases the strength and you can kinda titrate to what works.
Just know that if you do that, you are stuck with using the thicker felt because then the tape will kind of make the original felt too sticky.

Ya Cody.. Works fine holding it inside tank .. Just brutal on the manicure ;) btw.. Your clown is 'adorbz!' :)

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk

BeanMachine

Supporter
Hey Bean,
That is some serious coraline algae! I'd like to use that for a before an after pic.
Anyway...a tip if you think the Flipper Max is too strong....I've actually put some thicker felt for the handle (with double stick tape) when I thought it was too strong for a tank. The added felt thickness decreases the strength and you can kinda titrate to what works.
Just know that if you do that, you are stuck with using the thicker felt because then the tape will kind of make the original felt too sticky.
Thanks Duard... I got the MAX version from MD the other day so gonna give it a shot this weekend. Yeah sure you can use the pic although my pictures are terrible. I'll take a before and after of the back of the tank when I use the max... although I'll have to use a standard blade for my overflow as well. You think the side is thick, wait till you see the back of the tank! Its several layers thick.

Ya Cody.. Works fine holding it inside tank .. Just brutal on the manicure ;) btw.. Your clown is 'adorbz!' :)

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Jami her name is Streaker... have had her about 6 years.

Hey [MENTION=8631]happyflipping[/MENTION] where can I get the plastic blades for the nano flipper? You need to invent something that will get the rounded corners of the overflow easily!

Oh and here is my tank after scraping nearly all of the coraline... I can't get to the back left side of my tank as I can't reach that far, and can't get behind the tank so that is good as its going to get.

Hey Cody,

Wow!....great before and after pics. You never realize how much a difference it makes to have the glass spotless until you see a side by side like that.
Glad Flipper worked out for you and hope the tank is easier to maintain now. That is really a great looking tank!!!
FYI, there are no plastic blades for nano Flippers...only metal ones. Almost all nano tanks are glass these days, so not enough market for plastic nano blades at this point. A few others have asked too, so may have to make a batch in the not too distant future.

I see you switched out your powerheads for a Gyre. How do you like it?
I like it so far as its got a nice wide belt of flow across the top. Its the XF130. But I still have my MP40's on the back wall... well on the right side right now, but intend on putting the other on the left side as well. I turned the MP40s down to 30% or so to give more variation in flow pattern, eliminate the noise, and reduce the wear on the wetsides.

Latest posts