After 2 years, still learning with bio pellets

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I've been using biopellets with slowly successful results. It is a fine line from it being beneficial and it being a nuisance. I get cyano break outs of the tumble is too slow. I also dose prodibio bio digest to help ensure good bacteria to help keep bad bacteria from colonizing. It's a love hate relationship

Summary: you underdosed your tank with biopellets and when you put the right amount instantly cyano went away?

Imo its too soon for "good bacteria" to have grown and made the difference because reef textbook says waste removal bacteria grow very slowly. In bacterial terms, thats a doubling time of 12+ hours.

So, something must have been suddenly added something else, or taken away away by the addition of pellets, what do you think that could be?

Summary: you underdosed your tank with biopellets and when you put the right amount instantly cyano went away?

Imo its too soon for "good bacteria" to have grown and made the difference because reef textbook says waste removal bacteria grow very slowly. In bacterial terms, thats a doubling time of 12+ hours.

So, something must have been suddenly added something else, or taken away away by the addition of pellets, what do you think that could be?
Nothing changed..Didn't do a water change, didn't dose anything, fed my reg regimite of pellets and mysis. There was only one change...addition of pellets. If it wasn't the pellets, then it was luck. After months of cyano growing all over my tank, it just up and died.

Idk if the whole "waiting weeks for bacteria to colonize" works when your adding new pellets to an established bio pellets reactor.

Per my conversations with Dr Tim, given a supply of nitrogen, phosphorous, and carbon, bacteria will double every 30-45 minutes.

Per my conversations with Dr Tim, given a supply of nitrogen, phosphorous, and carbon, bacteria will double every 30-45 minutes.
Im sure there are bactetia that can do this, but probably not aquarium nitrifying bacteria.

http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

Nitrifying bacteria reproduce by binary division. Under optimal conditions, Nitrosomonas may double every 7 hours and Nitrobacter every 13 hours. More realistically, they will double every 15-20 hours. This is an extremely long time considering that heterotrophic bacteria can double in as short a time as 20 minutes. In the time that it takes a single Nitrosomonas cell to double in population, a single E. Coli bacterium would have produced a population exceeding 35 trillion cells.

For fun, lets buy this salesman line that the bacteria in question will double every 30 min doubling time = 48 times in 24 hours = ~3 x 10exp14 bacteria. That would cover a petri dish. For a 250g tank that still seems small. But as Nick said, he observed a noticible improvement. While far from controlled (anecdotal), ill keep it in mind. Thanks.

Latest posts