What kind of camera lens is best for coral close-ups?

I will see what scrap I have laying around. You can have it once finish. Not going to be professional looking yet. I will keep material cost under $5. Maybe after new years when time permit.

Abs and acrylic should bond with weldon acrylic solvent. If you want something quick, abs can be solvent welded just well enough for this application.
The avast marine looks like a piece of PVC tubing glued to acrylic. This will only bond using two parts Weldon 40 for PVC to acrylic. I could do it in PVC but I don't have any 4" pvc pipe laying around.
Can be done in acrylic tubing also but have to paint inside black. I think black acrylic tubing might be more expensive.
If you have a 4" media reactor like nextteef or myreefcreations not in use. This can be cut to size added with 3 thumbscrews to the tubing to also make something similar. Just cut off the base. The top or flange can be made clear and the thumbscrews would seal and prevent from both leaking and scratching.
Or the top flange can be replaced if scratched up.
I am not sure with all these camera boxes, I don't know why they don't make replacement acrylic lenses. So cheap. Even the scratch resistant acrylic lenses do scratch over time and need to be replaced.
If you need exact replica of the top flange in clear, let me know.

One thing you guys might want to try is to black out the inside of the box. If light is getting in the top of the box (the gap between the lens barrel and open end of the box) you're killing the contrast of your images.
I have this issue with my box I got from john. I hold my hand above the camera to shade any light from getting thru

The Avast Marine one is really nice but overpriced IMO. Does it really need that silicone band and the machined outer barrel? I imagine that John at AA can make a round one for much less than a square one minus the band and texture. The recessed end is a nice touch to prevent scratches but would it have a tendency to trap air bubbles? Maybe if they notched the perimeter to allow air bubbles to escape it would be better.
I got mine from john for $20. Not worth the headache of trying to build one from scratch.

I do agree though. The avast one is a little pricey for what it is

xmas_one

I have this issue with my box I got from john. I hold my hand above the camera to shade any light from getting thru
Get a piece of neoprene (wetsuit material), cut a doughnut out with the inside diameter slightly smaller than your lens barrel, and the outside slightly larger than the inside of your look down tube/box.

MrSandman

Get a piece of neoprene (wetsuit material), cut a doughnut out with the inside diameter slightly smaller than your lens barrel, and the outside slightly larger than the inside of your look down tube/box.
Good idea. An old mousepad will be perfect for this.

Latest posts