Need advice on live rock dry for a day...

Need advice on live rock left out of water a day :(
Am picking up some live rock from an established tank.. The issue is it was left out for a day dry ..
Is it now dead and needing cured again? I planned on adding it to an existing rockscape in my seahorse tank... Maybe to double the current amount in there. Is there any way to salvage this without recuring, or is the damage done ?
TIA :)

I thought that once left out the bacteria starts to die off... And once you put it back into a tank all that die off comes off in the tank... Which I would think would cause some sort of spike...

Was the rock left out in the sun?

I'll hafta ask.. I'm not sure if in garage or in sun in back yard .. He's put it back in water w a heater for me overnight and I'm grabbing it in the morning.

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk

I rather cycle it before adding just to play safe.. Clean it then cycle it again to lessen the ammonia and faster cycle before adding to DT.

Yeah everything pretty much died off, id rinse it really good before placing it in. I heard die off begins the minute its out of water. Just add bacteria in a bottle and your good.

So , sounds like it DOES need recuring.. since I've never done this really.. is it going to go through a full cycle?
I am curious .. if put in tub w heater at 78* and add a little of my cured tank rock.. will adding a bottle of Dr tims speed it up for me? All I need is 0 ammonia and 0 nitrates .. right? ugh... not looking forward to the days ahead with tubs of rock in the house to keep warm.. dang :(

It would probably do a mini cycle which I think can still be hazardous to ur livestock depending how much u add an how long it's been out of the water. Diatom bloom for sure.. I would rather cure it!! Did that once and the outcome wasn't good at all, had an ammonia spike and lost half my livestock. If it's a couple rocks u could probably get away with it, but if it's quite a few don't do it

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
with an established tank your current live rock should be able to handle the bioload of a dead rock that was left out. Everything goes through the nitrogen cycle but its not like your whole tank is going through a mini cycle, just that piece. I would just throw it back in and let your tank cycle that piece again.

well a sea horse tank is a delicate systems to run you have to feed heavy and fortify the food since the seahorse do not have a stomach so the bio load runs kinda heavy, I would Cure the rock , I would not add it into the display tank . I would run it in a container , Rubbermaid , bucket, ect ect.... just for a few days test Nh3/nh+4 , N03, N0-2 (ammonia nitrite nitrate ) and see where you are at. I think with all the time effort and heart that goes into A Seahorse d.t. its not to much to do to protect what you have worked so hard to Have :) good Luck and keep us in the loop ....oh by the way Pics or it didn't happen ;)

if the rock stayed damp or completely dried out will play a factor. so if it stayed damp you die off COULD be minimal but I would still cure run tests to ensure not to add more bio to your seahorse tank , I know a lot of die off leaching into a system can have a lot more effects than just ammonia spike, also can drop dkh / ph sometimes keep that in mind . by the way how many gallons is this SeaHorse tank?!

Awesome rock you scored and keep [MENTION=7680]xmas_one[/MENTION] away from that stuff or it will be all gone!

Hey dan I got your tonga branch right here you can dispose of hehehe

Thanks Adrock :) it's a 40 gl and a 20 sump .. Here's the proof pic ;)

Thank you for that tonga I really liked it and nice meeting you oh and awsome tanks very clean looking keep us updated when you redo your sea horse tank:)

Thanks! Great meeting you too . Will do :) Gonna cure it a couple weeks I guess and then start playing Jenga ;)

Hmmm, I got 10x that much Tonga sitting in my backyard. suppose I should take inventory of the stuff and find out what its worth.