GFCI outlets/strips question

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
So last night was the first time we've had power outages since I set up the tank...

We don't have GFCI outlets so I bought the Tripp Lite GFCI strip recommended on one of the BRSTV videos. It's been working great, until last night when the lights flickered on 4 separate occasions and each time the power strip reset and had to be manually turned back on.

Do all GFCI outlets and strips do this? I can't have the tank shut off completely every time there's a flicker, you guys know how the winds get here in SoCal. What does everyone else (who uses GFCI) use?

must be a ground fault, on one of your equipment... (the reason why is tripping) i use an in wall Levinton (USA made) GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) . noting better than an in wall USA made GFCI

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
must be a ground fault, on one of your equipment... (the reason why is tripping) i use an in wall Levinton (USA made) GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) . noting better than an in wall USA made GFCI
No, it tripped because the high winds were causing brownouts last night with the power in the house going out for a split second each time. Apparently whenever the strip turns off it doesn't turn back on by itself.

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
It it possible to install a wall GFCI?
Anything's possible, I just figured if they have the same issue (not resetting when the power is restored) it's not worth the hassle. :) If they do reset and come back on with the power, I'll start looking for an electrician.

GFCI whether in wall, or on a power strip are, to my knowledge, always a manual reset. The GFCI would be almost useless if they automatically reset. The whole purpose of tripping is a safety measure.
The only way to automatically have continuous power is to either have an uninterrupted power source often times used for computer systems, or have a generator connected to the power main in the house. With either, if the city power is shut off, the redundant system kicks in.
Neither are cheap, but with the time, money,and love we all put into out tanks, maybe an option to consider.

it might only be with that particular GF I strip my power turned off the other day and searched on and off and my gfI didn't trip it is also Levington in wall GFI

Anything's possible, I just figured if they have the same issue (not resetting when the power is restored) it's not worth the hassle. :) If they do reset and come back on with the power, I'll start looking for an electrician.
I had the same issue and when power is unstable and it trips. To resolve that, I put a conditioner in between the wall and my equipment like a ups. That way you get somewhat filtered power then you can put a gfci stripe on the ups battery side. This is given your ups can support your load for a brief moment while it switches to battery. I haven't tried to put the gfci on the surge side.

My 2 cents

Personally I do not use gfcis. The will trip eventually and often. Are tanks mimic exactly what they are looking for to trip.

But it is of course recommended to use them since they are of people protectors in case anyone didn't know that. That's all they are for is to save your life so of course your life should be more important than that of your tank inhabitants. However , I do take precaution at all times without them.

Now the gfi you are using will indeed need to be reset most likely after a power outage since it's electronic enabled trip. It detected an error and will not turn back on until you safely reset it.

Home depot leviton gfcis usually will not trip after an outage or even if you just turn off your breaker. They have a analog internal trip. Kinda like a mouse trap. You have to manually set it and needs to be faulted I'm order to trip it.

Best recommendation is use gfis on everything except maybe your return pump/ circulation pump. That way you will not have to work about it so much.

I had the same issue and when power is unstable and it trips. To resolve that, I put a conditioner in between the wall and my equipment like a ups. That way you get somewhat filtered power then you can put a gfci stripe on the ups battery side. This is given your ups can support your load for a brief moment while it switches to battery. I haven't tried to put the gfci on the surge side.
You have to be careful plugging other items such as surge protectors or ups into gfis as this will not allow them to do their job that's most likely why it helped. Those device use isolation transformers which means that the only point protected is the cord from the plug to the surge protector. Those are intended for computer and electronics use.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Home depot leviton gfcis usually will not trip after an outage or even if you just turn off your breaker. They have a analog internal trip. Kinda like a mouse trap. You have to manually set it and needs to be faulted I'm order to trip it.
Is there a life span for analog GFCI's?

Best recommendation is use gfis on everything except maybe your return pump/ circulation pump. That way you will not have to work about it so much.
Great idea.

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
My return is plugged into my Apex, which is plugged into the GFCI; hmm. I'll have to think on this one.

sounds like Paul hit it right on the head to be safe. And if you even if you have a pump submerged or externally it could still leak and energize the water

Latest posts