Self leveling concrete

Working on my wood tank project and we decided we will be replacing our hardwood flooring early next year. I was going to remove the flooring where the tank is going and was wondering if self leveling concrete would be a good idea. Anyone have an opinion?

Self leveling concrete is useful on a concrete slab if you have areas that need it. That should have been done before your current hardwood floor went down. You can put tanks on hardwood floors. I've had my 150 on my engineered hardwood for 6 mos, broke it down and floor is fine.

Not worried about damaging the flooring. I wanted to take out the section where the tank will go so the tile guy can tile right up to the tank. Just thought self leveling concrete would make it so I didn't have to shim the stand

xmas_one

Not worried about damaging the flooring. I wanted to take out the section where the tank will go so the tile guy can tile right up to the tank. Just thought self leveling concrete would make it so I didn't have to shim the stand
So you're going to chunk out your slab ahead of the tile guy and "self level" just that area and have him tile over it? It would be way easier for the tile guy to just make it level with the tile. How bad is the area?

Self leveling concrete is useful on a concrete slab if you have areas that need it. That should have been done before your current hardwood floor went down. You can put tanks on hardwood floors. I've had my 150 on my engineered hardwood for 6 mos, broke it down and floor is fine.
What's up with your new tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you building your stand in place or buying a premade stand. Is the tank in place already? Wouldn't you want tile under the tank, that way when you move, it's already tiled?

wait... you're going to make a whole on the hard wood floor, then put a new foundation and a huge cement slap for the tank...? or is your hardwood floor resting on cement and you have no crawlspace under the house....? i'm confused...?

at my buddies, we had to break some of his tile, then made a pretty decent sized slab of self leveling cement for his 180... it had broken and flooded his house before hand... it was a mess...

It's a pre-built stand. Normally I would like to tile under the stand but tank will be set up in the next couple months but tile will be early next year. I figured it would be better to get the hardwood out from under the tank so I wouldn't have potential issues later. I can always install the missing tile if we ever move.

It's a pre-built stand. Normally I would like to tile under the stand but tank will be set up in the next couple months but tile will be early next year. I figured it would be better to get the hardwood out from under the tank so I wouldn't have potential issues later. I can always install the missing tile if we ever move.
Then why bother with self leveler? Just cut your hardwood back and set the stand on the slab? Or your worried about moisture? If you make a clean cut on your hardwood, you can use the opening as your form and just pour the self leveler in

wait... you're going to make a whole on the hard wood floor, then put a new foundation and a huge cement slap for the tank...? or is your hardwood floor resting on cement and you have no crawlspace under the house....? i'm confused...?

at my buddies, we had to break some of his tile, then made a pretty decent sized slab of self leveling cement for his 180... it had broken and flooded his house before hand... it was a mess...
The tile cracked and broke the tank?

The tile cracked and broke the tank?

the tile was un-even... like, they were huge 14"x14" tiles, and one was slightly higher in one side than the other, and it slopped down about an inch... so in the 180g tank, one side had like 1.5 inches of water more than the other... but i think it was the tile that pushed one corner up and cracked the tank... he didn't put like foam or anything.... even though, the stand was warped because of the high corner, i don't know if the foam would take most of the pressure or not...

Then why bother with self leveler? Just cut your hardwood back and set the stand on the slab? Or your worried about moisture? If you make a clean cut on your hardwood, you can use the opening as your form and just pour the self leveler in

Using the hardwood as a form is what I had in mind. The slab in the room slopes about 3/8" so I thought it might be better to use the self leveling concrete instead of shims. I was concerned about the self leveling concrete not being able to hold up to the weight of the tank and chipping of flaking

row12

Check out my build thread. I was in a similar situation as you with carpet. I cut out the carpet around the area where my tank is and placed the tank directly over the concrete slab. I did use a moisture barrier foam from Lowe's to help prevent the wood from rotting. I don't suggest the self leveler because if it's done incorrectly it can make the surface worse. As long as the stand is built correctly you should use shims to level it.

Latest posts