Thinking of down sizing live rock...implications???

I have a JBJ 28 Gal. that has been setup for about 2.5 years. I was thinking of going for a more minimalist look with the live rock. I believe there is about 15lb of live rock in there. If i remove a good portion of that what issues may i face. I currently have one percula and one royal gramma. Coral- duncan, mushrooms, galaxea, bubblt tip, GSP, xenia.

Thanks for the input. Going to try and post pics of current setup in a bit.

Deric

SJacob164

Best thing would be to throw it in your sump if u got one . But with that bio load and decent mechanical filtration a minimalist tank should be fine. Take out a few lbs at a time to let your tank adjust.

another question, can i hang onto the rock for future use? I feel bad taking it out because there is so much life on it (coraline algae, feather duster, etc..). how do i store it if i want to use it in the future?

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
if you take it out, dry it out completely and store it. the life will be gone but can always be brought back to life.

xmas_one

Maybe take one of your bigger rocks and smash it into several smaller rocks. You'll get both more surface area and more room in the tank.

good idea Dan. I think i will look into that.. saves some life i have on rock while removing large pieces.

Steve- can i just store it a box? anything special?

Also, at what point am i taking out to much live rock? i fear that i will remove to much and have an impact on bio-filter.

sorry another question.... if i a moving rock that has been in the same spot for 2 years.. what kind of problems can i be stirring up?

Took out about 5 lbs of rock.

IMG_2188.jpg
IMG_2190.jpg
IMG_2191.jpg

One side is coming down like an arch. the other side just has one larger rock on its own.

Latest posts