Upgrade Transfer Question

I am picking up a 150g on Saturday and will placing everything from the 55g in it. My question has anybody done this? I would appreciate all the help or improvements on my plan.

So here is a list of what I'm going to do

pick up tank and place it where I want it.
plumb it
aquascape it with all the live rock I have about 180lb
Add live establish sand (I will remove sand with a shop vac to prevent storing up sand
saltwater(couple of hours) I do have enough to fill up the tank but not enough for sump yet. Since I'm limited with 75g at a time.
leave my fish and corals in current tank until the 150 finishes cycling should be a week I expect
once cycled I move corals in
QT fish in the 55g incase ick happens since I heard even though you have it it's always a possibility in reefs.
Finally toss the 55g if I use medicine or give it out.

Please comment for any suggestion want to do this right with least amount of loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caribsea Love sand and some from my establish sand from the 55g
Hope it's a week if not I am in no rush.
I am scared of getting new fish because of all the talk about flukes and red bug in sps. I'm dip dip dip. And hopefully my green and yellow corris wrasse and six line wrasse can give peace of mind and eat some I do get the big.

Caribsea Love sand and some from my establish sand from the 55g
Hope it's a week if not I am in no rush.
I am scared of getting new fish because of all the talk about flukes and red bug in sps. I'm dip dip dip. And hopefully my green and yellow corris wrasse and six line wrasse can give peace of mind and eat some if I do get the bug.

xmas_one

Is the 180# of live rock actual LIVE rock that is from an established system? Because if it is not, you are pretty much just starting a new tank, which in reality will take longer than one week to cycle. In my book there is a difference between processing ammonia with magic juice and cycling a tank.

Is the 180# of live rock actual LIVE rock that is from an established system? Because if it is not, you are pretty much just starting a new tank, which in reality will take longer than one week to cycle. In my book there is a difference between processing ammonia with magic juice and cycling a tank.
Yes it is established it is in the tank and sump

I would use all new live sand and just a small scoop of yours for the beneficial life. Don't use the rest of your sand from the 55 gallon.

Got it. For what reason would I not add the establish sand?

Build up of detritus and nutrients.

Wait why would you have to wait since you are using the same rock and water?
100 gallons more water? You should still test for a cycle. It may be short but you will probably still encounter one.

Build up of detritus and nutrients.

100 gallons more water? You should still test for a cycle. It may be short but you will probably still encounter one.
Thanks I will be waiting starting new just ordered bunch of sand. I will not use any knew sand.

Also I have question for my pistol should I put rock then sand or sand then rock on top to let it dig in? I'm getting conflicting answers.

Latest posts