Aquamaxx Phosphate out GFO bad experience!

sonnus

Premium Sponsor
Premium sponsor
Just to be clear, most reputable GFO "packagers" suggests not to tumble the media. They do suggest to allow the top few granules to "tumble" at the surface. This means the majority (99.9%) of the GFO is not tumbling.

Here's from PhosBan's instructions:
4. Initial Operation and Adjustment Once the lid is securely fastened, the reactor is level, all of the hoses are securely attached, and the pump is located in the aquarium or sump, direct the return hose into a bucket, open the ball valve, and connect the pump to the mains electricity. Allow water to fill the reactor for 2 to 3 seconds and then close the ball valve to stop the flow. Partially open the valve slowly to about 20 gph to purge air from the outflow pipe and allow the initial dusty 1/2 gallon of water to empty into the bucket. When the water runs clear, close the valve and reposition the return hose to feed water back to the aquarium. Adjust the flow with the ball valve so that the PhosBan granules are tumbling slightly at the surface. A section of clear water will be located above the granules.

And from BRS:
For use in a media reactor:
1. Place GFO in suitable reactor
2. Place the reactor's return line into a bucket or sink
3. Turn on the feed pump to flush the fines from the GFO until the water runs clear
4. Place the return line in the tank
5. Reduce the flow through the reactor so the GFO barely tumbles on the surface.
6. Do not allow the material to vigorously tumble.
7. Change the media when phosphate levels rise, typically 4-8 weeks.

There are a bunch of companies that package GFO with horrible directions. Some suggest dosages 20x typical that would surely stress corals. Others recommend fluidizing the GFO like you would biopellets. Many reefers fluidize GFO to prevent clumping of the GFO in the reactor but this is not necessary. There are many methods to prevent clumping without fluidizing the media.

sonnus

Premium Sponsor
Premium sponsor
Aaron what is your favorite reactor for gfo?
I like reactors that are quick and easy. I recommend adding GFO in small doses on a weekly basis to aquariums to reduce the shock to aquariums. I've done this for years and it seems to be much better for coral growth. As an example, instead of adding 1 cup of GFO every 8 weeks I'll separate it into 1/8 cup every week. Obviously the GFO lasts much longer than 1 week so I continue to add the new GFO to the existing GFO. After 2-3 months I take out the reactor, clean it and start over. You could probably go longer than this without a problem since the old GFO is on the bottom of the reactor so theoretically the new GFO on top is taking out any leached PO4 the old stuff might release.

So, if you're going to add GFO every week you need something very convenient. My far, the PhosBan 550 reactor is the easiest. Since the top is screwed on without freaking thumb screws and the hoses come out the side it's a piece of cake. I remove the top foam permanently so I simply unscrew the top, dump in the GFO and don't have to deal with a mess. The PhosBan reactors are not the best quality but their design is the best for the methods I prefer.

Interesting, I've been using the brs. I like to keep a spare cartridge and I can change it out quickly.. But I may give a 550 and your method a try. Especially since they are so cheap

CoralNerd

CoralNerd
Supporter
I like what Aaron suggested add a little each week. This method would work good for me as I have been doing 5g water changes and I can just pump the water out of the sump at the same time I clean the dust off the media. I wonder if I should take some GFO out as I just filled the reactor all the way up and I didn't realize this can stress corals.