High phosphates tap water

Is it possible to have high phosphates even though my tds is reading. 04 after membrane and 0 after di resin.. Trying to see if my Hanna meter is off

xmas_one

A good low range po4 test kit is measuring well below the range of your TDS meter. TDS could be 0.4ppm and your TDS meter will call that 0.

Are they one in the same tds and phosphates.
I don't believe so.
TDS is total dissolved solids, like iron copper, silica, etc. It is possible to have 0 TDS and still have po4, however if your ro/di is working correctly it should remove it, unless your tap water is super high in po4. I know that a lot of people on well water have super high po4 at the tap and have to use specific cartridges to remove it or run it through gfo prior to using it.

I'm thinking the Hanna meter is workers.. It's saying I've continually have. 13 phosphate, but my algae is 99 percent gonna.. I do have diatoms on one particular rock..

I'm thinking the Hanna meter is workers.. It's saying I've continually have. 13 phosphate, but my algae is 99 percent gonna.. I do have diatoms on one particular rock..
I was recently having the same problem with po4 coming from my rodi unit. I added an extra DI stage and this solved the problem.

xmas_one

Did you test both po4 and TDS of the tap? Did you test both TDS and po4 after the membrane? Did you test both po4 and TDS after the DI?

The ratios of po4/TDS should all be close to similar, if not, that will tell you where your problem is.

(po4 tap)/(TDS tap) = (po4 after membrane)/(TDS after membrane) = (po4 after DI)/(TDS after DI)

I have been planning attempting this process but have not had the chance. I was having 0.08 out of my unit so I changed all my filters and it was zero. After 100gs made it was back up to 0.04. It could be that the membrane is bad but it is only 6 months old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Johnny,
Phosphates and silicates are extremely difficult to remove from fresh water.**Unfortunately TDS meters are not accurate enough to ensure there are no phosphates*in the fresh water.**I use the*Hanna PO4 meter to measure our fresh water all the time and it is helpful even if it's not accurate.* I seem to get higher readings with the Hanna meter than I do with saltwater.* As an example, we usually measure 0.04 ppm on our*RODI water but after we mix the water with salt we get 0.00-0.01 ppm with the same water!* Also, the RODI sometimes gives us crazy results.
Anyways,*if your TDS is reading 0 after your DI I don't think the phosphates are going to be an issue.* I would recommend using at least 2 DI cartridges after you RO to*make sure the water is as pure as possible.* I like the Spectrapure Maxcap and Silica Buster cartridges but really any will work.**Also, if you use 2 DIs only replace*one at a time.* You should replace the one closest to the RO, then move the*second one over and put the new one last.* That way the last DI is always the freshest one.
Thanks,
Aaron