Newbie to the saltwater world!

Hey everyone, my name is Gary. I've been in this hobby for about 5 years, mostly all freshwater, ranging from small community fish to flowerhorns. I've always been interested in a reef tank, and now I have a 55 with clowns, firefish, royal gramma, and lyretail anthias. I've got a couple of frags in there too, from sps to zoas. I'm in the Anaheim area, and I'd love to meet some of you!

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Welcome! Sucks you are out there lol jk you'll eventually meet some cool reefers out there. Post some pictures! We love pics!

I got some algae on the rocks( no clue what it is, brown algae or diatoms or whatever), but I hope my astreas will finish eating them in a week or so.

That algae is normal with a new tank... how long has it been set up? Just keep up with the maintenance, let your CUC do some work, and it will go away. If still new it might get a little worse before it gets better though.

Thanks everyone! The tanks been up for about 4 months now. However, it's still far from good. Do you guys think this is fine, or should I upgrade some things? I'm running a Reef Octopus 100 Classic HOB. I can't do a sump because all panels are tempered on my tank. I also have Buildmyled 14000K lights, and 2 Koralia 850 or something like that. I was thinking about using an HOB overflow box to upgrade into a sump.

pgr11

Supporter
Welcome to SCR. Enjoy the site and ask as many questions as you can. Tank looks great so far and like bean said the algae is normal so don't sweat it. Again welcome