Jesse is a Bad Influence: The Moorish Idol Thread

I'll try the clams. And wow it ate off your hand? It must have loved sponges! Haha I'll look into getting some cheap acans too.

Did your Idol ever eat pellets? I feed frozen once a day. I've actually been feeding it more like twice a day now for variety. I don't care what I feed as long as it eats.

He's been in my tank over a week now. Swims pretty peacefully, except when my regal gets too close, but otherwise, it's not meeting much aggression. The tangs leave it alone because he's a good size.
My idol age mysis, lrs, rods, nori, pellets, acans, birdsnest, and Millies hahahaha

My idol age mysis, lrs, rods, nori, pellets, acans, birdsnest, and Millies hahahaha
[MENTION=6733]Usingthejohn[/MENTION] I just bought it a blue sponge. It's picking at it!! How sustainable do you think a meal like this would be? It wasn't expensive, but I'd rather have it eat frozen foods. I will also try clams on a half shelf later today.

[MENTION=6733]Usingthejohn[/MENTION] I just bought it a blue sponge. It's picking at it!! How sustainable do you think a meal like this would be? It wasn't expensive, but I'd rather have it eat frozen foods. I will also try clams on a half shelf later today.
I think it's more a matter of how much sponge you're able to provide. Sponge Is their natural food. That's not to say you should stop trying to get it on to prepared food

Clam on a half shell baby!!! He's completely devouring it!!! I am so thrilled I finally found something it eats!!!

Of course now, all the fish go crazy for it. Still though, this is progress!

I just observed it when the autofeeder turned on and it appears it's eating pellets, if I'm not mistaken. It was hard to see with the actinics, but it was chasing after the Finicky Fish Formula I put in the feeder a few days ago. I'll have to verify tomorrow when the lights are on.

Yup! So it's official! The Idol is eating pellets! Just saw him pick on them on the sandbed and not spitting them out.

Good progress, but still not out of the water. It's just been over a week. Not sure if there is any survival rate guideline though...

4-6 months seems to be the time frame. If you can get it past that, you're clear. Just keep doing what you're doing.
Ah. I see. I started reading the Moorish Idol thread on RC and some guy even said two years. You never know though...

And in other news, the Idol was chomping down PE mysis like a champ! I'm gonna do Nori daily now since it's been lacking in my tang's diets.

Latest posts