How long until a tank matures?

Hello! I have been creeping on this site for a very long time, on and off the hobby due to school and work. Right now I have established pico tanks (2.2 gallon cubes by truaqua.com, check them out, they're awesome). I am into pico's due to their easy maintenance (water changes weekly, evaporation top off). What I really want is a 50 gallon plus. I want to drop money for a one time big purchase (already have my dream list of equipment and specs). Now that you have my background, here is my question:

How many months does it take for a tank to mature?

By maturity I mean you can place a frag into the tank and it will have a grand old time growing and getting its coral grove on. Given that your parameters are in order and you have the right equipment.

I am transferring to a university in a year, still in California but far enough that I will have to move. I'm not sure if I will be living on campus (limited to a 5 gallon tank) or renting (which would allow me to keep the large tank). I do not want to get my dream 50+ if I have to suddenly sell it due to not being able to care for it. I would not mind tearing it down (removing livestock, keeping it cycled) for a semester and coming back.

2.2 gallon tank, 200 times harder, than a 200 gallon tank.

Less water means less room for mistakes.

There's alot of variables in that answer.

The short answer is about 30 days. That being the nitrogen cycle has completed. This would be a fresh setup with new water. Sand. And mostly dry rock with some live rock to seed it.
This however is a tank you will most likely battle cyano dinos and other nuisance algaes. About 6 months to fully dial in I would say.

Then the other method. Live sand mostly new water. All Live rock with a little dry for base rock. And borrowing someone's water change to get it going immediately.
This is a tank that is ready for corals pretty much as soon as it fills with water and settles.

Different people prefer each method and I have done both. Can't say I have a favorite over the other.

Just a matter of what you want and what your budget is and which is actually going to work best for you.

If your talking about not running heavy filter and other mechanical devices and let things run naturally I say 1.5 to 2 years. Just like nature it takes time for everything to adapt to a environment.

Imo the bigger the tank the longer. Several cycles have to complete & be in stable equilibrium with everything; must also be growing plankton, pods & the other fauna before added coral will thrive & not just survive. 2.2 gallons im estimating 1-2 months. My 180g i felt was not ready for 8months

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
A tank can go through the nitrogen cycle in 2-3 weeks. From then to two months you will see various cycles that can have little effect on sps. So you can add it then. But for a tank to fully mature, I would say about a year.

www.LAreefsociety.org

Maturity in every tank is different. However, in the few tanks I set up my tank's maturity depended on the live rock and other biological filtration material I introduced into my tank. If you are placing uncured live rock into your tank, this process could take up to a year. However, if you're introducing cured live rock from another aquarium, this process should tank anywhere from 2 to 4 months. If your goal is to raise frags only, I would suggest that you wait for a little bit more than a year to not only establish your tank but also to learn about the species of coral and there habitat. Not all corals and frag will growth/flourish under the same conditions....I've found that most frags are very picky when it comes to growth and placement.

I hope this helps.

Larry

Latest posts