what gavel vac for sugar sand/fine sand

zigginit

what vac do u guys use for fine sand? I have a standard vac with a little hand bulb to squeeze to prim it. pretty basic and works great for removing water but it I try and hit the sand it sucks most the sand out. I have seen one with a fanned vac head so it does not suck so strongly and think its looks like it would do better. wondering what you use.

My advice would be to eliminate the hand pump and go to the old school way of using the siphon. Purchase clear vinyl tubing from Lowes, OSH or HD and connect that to your vacuum to create your own siphon. Use your thumb to plug the tube when you notice the more desired sand amount being drawn into the tube. Slowly return the more desired sand and continue the process until you've reach a cleaned sandbed. Good luck with your upkeep.

Larry

it more how than what make sure you pinch the drain tube as the vac fills up with sand as to not suck the sand and clog the vac

zigginit

so I did a 20g water change today and vacuumed the sand on about 30% of the floor. I was shocked to see the bucket was dark black/brown. nasty stuff in that sand. now I got to wait a few weeks then hit the other side. I don't want to spike nitrates or other bad stuff.