Skimmer AFTER fuge?

So I wanna put my skimmer in the middle of my sump to improve the look of my new door panels

It just blocks too much light on the left..
Here is a pic of my sump now

Drain in the right / skimmer / fuge/ return
Thinking of doing it
Drain into fuge/ skimmer middle / return left
Will this configuration deplete my pod population? Or over saturate my fuge w waste from the dt?
Thanks for any input :)
J

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not do it. all the dirty will get clogged inside the chaeto (chaeto act like medium media filter)before removing out by your skimmer. Second the chaeto will get into and reduce if not break your skimmer pump.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Can you add another light inside the cabinet to brighten it up inside? But I'm with everyone else, keep it how it is. The fuge would get too much crud in it.

That's a thought.. I could pick up another fuge light I guess. Shhhh.. My hubs might hear ;) I guess as a last resort . Just hate seeing that stupid skimmer cup behind my beautiful pony :)

My skimmer is(was) last in my sump. Chaeto is middle, and doesn't get gunked up. My opinion is that your macros should get nutrients first, and the skimmer can get what's left. My sump is designed so chaeto can't clog the pump, but in my old sump clogging was an issue (but same for the return pump, so just clean them both).

flomojo

what about just putting some sort of transparent white diffusing plastic behind the door panels. It'll illuminate the design more uniformly and you won't see the equipment. Use whatever diffusing light fixture sheeting that seems attractive to you...same place they have egg-crate at in the hardware store.

I guess I could prevent Chaeto clogs by putting a screen around skimmer intake .. So [MENTION=8885]acbaldwin[/MENTION].. Di you use a sock on the drain into the fuge ? I don't run one now , haven't forever ..

what about just putting some sort of transparent white diffusing plastic behind the door panels. It'll illuminate the design more uniformly and you won't see the equipment. Use whatever diffusing light fixture sheeting that seems attractive to you...same place they have egg-crate at in the hardware store.
Thanks :) I thought about using the frost window cling on the back of the bronze transparent acrylic on there now.. May try it , but think the darkness will still bug me on that side w skimmer there..

flomojo

Thanks :) I thought about using the frost window cling on the back of the bronze transparent acrylic on there now.. May try it , but think the darkness will still bug me on that side w skimmer there..

If diffuse enough, it should illuminate evenly. You can also add an accent light to compensate if needed. I just think your skimmer placed before the fuge will be more effective at removing what it's supposed to. A healthy reef will always look more attractive and should take precedence over it's cabinet doors.

I have this white frost window film if this helps?

Be a blessing to someone

That might do the trick :) thanks! Can you pm me price and can you ship to Murrieta? Need 2 pieces 18x8 .. Or one I can cut to fit both :)

CoralNerd

CoralNerd
Supporter
Nice looking doors, but leave the skimmer where it's at.

85g LeeMar just set up, buying corals like crazy.

I guess I could prevent Chaeto clogs by putting a screen around skimmer intake .. So [MENTION=8885]acbaldwin[/MENTION].. Di you use a sock on the drain into the fuge ? I don't run one now , haven't forever ..

Nope, only run socks when I'm really mucking things up. But my sump is long, with macros all the way through, so most stuff settles/filters out before it hits my sump and return.
(last chamber on the far left)