Water parameters, what do you think?

Hey guys!

Kinda new to this forum, but you all seem pretty chill. Anyways, I wanted to see what you guys think for some advice on my water.

Approximately 50 gallons of water total (tank + rocks + sump + equipment)

Currently salinity at 1.025

No4 - 0
Po4 - 0

Calcium - 360
Magnesium - 1300
Kh - 11.2

I just recently decided to try out Sealab's Formula 28. I'll keep testing and see if it helps my water at all. In the mean time, anybody have any suggestions to get my water to be the best it can be? Open to all suggestions, ideas, thoughts, and I'm also willing to try out some products.

Thanks in advance :haha:

Hey guys!

Kinda new to this forum, but you all seem pretty chill. Anyways, I wanted to see what you guys think for some advice on my water.

Approximately 50 gallons of water total (tank + rocks + sump + equipment)

Currently salinity at 1.025

No4 - 0
Po4 - 0

Calcium - 360
Magnesium - 1300
Kh - 11.2

I just recently decided to try out Sealab's Formula 28. I'll keep testing and see if it helps my water at all. In the mean time, anybody have any suggestions to get my water to be the best it can be? Open to all suggestions, ideas, thoughts, and I'm also willing to try out some products.

Thanks in advance :haha:
It's all preference. I perosonally would raise my No4, Po4, and calcium while dropping the alk to around 8. Remember that zeroed out parameters will starve your tank so shoot to raise your parametera with useful nutrients that your tank will utilize. GL and Happy reefing

It's all preference. I perosonally would raise my No4, Po4, and calcium while dropping the alk to around 8. Remember that zeroed out parameters will starve your tank so shoot to raise your parametera with useful nutrients that your tank will utilize. GL and Happy reefing
Thanks man! I'm looking into dosers right now. Don't know whether to go with off brand or the higher end good stuff as currently price is an issue.

xmas_one

Your no3 and po4 should be >0, they are likely not zero but are reading zero on your cheap test kits. Not a jab, but every time I see someone claiming zero or undetectable no3/po4 they are using API or some other cheap, high range test kits. Try to get your kh down to 8-9 and your calcium up around 420.

Thanks man! I'm looking into dosers right now. Don't know whether to go with off brand or the higher end good stuff as currently price is an issue.
A Dosing pump is not a value purchase IMO. I have heard of people coming home to a gallon of Alk being pumped into their tank from a bad doser. This can happen with any doser but with a quality unit you have better odds. I suggest a Kamoer doser, I own two of them and them are awesome. You can create any kind of dosing schedule you can think up.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey Johnny, how much coral do you have and how long has your tank been up and running? if money is an issue i would hold off until you can get a quality doser. unless you have a lot of coral and need a doser, then you can probably get away with water changes for now.

I personally love my GHL doser and think its awesome compared to bubble magus, kamoer, BRS, marine magic and aqua medic. I have not had a chance to play with the Apex doser so i cannot speak on that

Your no3 and po4 should be >0, they are likely not zero but are reading zero on your cheap test kits. Not a jab, but every time I see someone claiming zero or undetectable no3/po4 they are using API or some other cheap, high range test kits. Try to get your kh down to 8-9 and your calcium up around 420.
I'm sorry, hahha yeah my nitrates are reading 0 but my phosphates are at 0.005. :)

I'm def. trying to get my calcium up and to lower my kh. Doing 5 gallon water changes every day.

A Dosing pump is not a value purchase IMO. I have heard of people coming home to a gallon of Alk being pumped into their tank from a bad doser. This can happen with any doser but with a quality unit you have better odds. I suggest a Kamoer doser, I own two of them and them are awesome. You can create any kind of dosing schedule you can think up.
Hey man, thanks for the great advice. I'll look into the Kamoer's. Is there a reason you own two? Do you dose more than the usual Cal, Kh, and Mag.?

Hey Johnny, how much coral do you have and how long has your tank been up and running? if money is an issue i would hold off until you can get a quality doser. unless you have a lot of coral and need a doser, then you can probably get away with water changes for now.

I personally love my GHL doser and think its awesome compared to bubble magus, kamoer, BRS, marine magic and aqua medic. I have not had a chance to play with the Apex doser so i cannot speak on that
I saw an GHL being sold right now at the marketplace. Not too much coral, and nothing SPS. I'm just looking into these dosers because I feel that with a system it'll be more accurate and on schedule than I'll ever be :)

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I saw an GHL being sold right now at the marketplace. Not too much coral, and nothing SPS. I'm just looking into these dosers because I feel that with a system it'll be more accurate and on schedule than I'll ever be :)
I think it is just easier to use than the other dosers and the prime button on each pump saves major time instead of going through the menu for manual dosing. You can prime all 3-4 lines at the same time in less than a minute.

www.LAreefsociety.org

Latest posts