Stable Alkalinity

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
If I were you, I would also do a clarity check by getting a gallon or two into a white bucket. If it's still clear then it's good. If it's not then your corals could be over compensating by extending out more to get more lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
can you explain a little more not sure I follow

This is why is use the regular old IO salt. I do water changes once a week and never have to worry about a alk swing since that cheap stuff has the Alk of only 8, I run my alk at 8 :) Then I dose trace elements weekly to compensate for lack of Trace elements. In all, I have complete control over any kind of change that happens in my tank.

can you explain a little more not sure I follow
Water clarity has a direct effect on the amount of lighting getting to the corals. Even if your water has all the trace elements that the corals need, if it doesn't have the normal clarify based on your normal WC schedule then your coral may have to blow themselves up a little more just to get the equivalent amount of light. There was a BRS video on how to determine when to replace carbon and talked about the PAR effect from water clarity.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Water clarity has a direct effect on the amount of lighting getting to the corals. Even if your water has all the trace elements that the corals need, if it doesn't have the normal clarify based on your normal WC schedule then your coral may have to blow themselves up a little more just to get the equivalent amount of light. There was a BRS video on how to determine when to replace carbon and talked about the PAR effect from water clarity.

No i get the clarity part but i didn't understand your instructions for the white bucket. And thanks, i'm going to search for that video. I never know when to change carbon. I just run it through a bag in a very high flow area.