Help w first QT and constant ammonia ?

Brought home my 2 seahorses.. And wanted to qt to establish feeding on frozen.. Only been 2 days.. It's a 10g w a petco power filter 20, heater and used maybe 5-6 lbs est live rock from my dt and tank water to fill. Problem is.. On first day, after 12 hrs my ammonia is .25.. So did a wc at 50% last night at 7.. And this am tested ammonia at .25 again! Started tank w carbon and prefilter in the filter chamber.. Added Amquel after first test and before wc.. Any advice?
TIA
Jami

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk

Once yes, and once no.. you think that from one cube it could raise the ammonia that much in 10 gallons?
This tank may just be too small for the 2 big sh ... and they do poop alot .. although been trying to siphon it out when I see it..
Can't keep up w 5 g a day wc to stay at .25.. so am torn between risking their health in that parameter for a week, or risking the other 2 in my DT by adding them early. They are eating GREAT.. but wanted to give it at least a week or 2 to check for signs of illness :(

Brought home my 2 seahorses.. And wanted to qt to establish feeding on frozen.. Only been 2 days.. It's a 10g w a petco power filter 20, heater and used maybe 5-6 lbs est live rock from my dt and tank water to fill. Problem is.. On first day, after 12 hrs my ammonia is .25.. So did a wc at 50% last night at 7.. And this am tested ammonia at .25 again! Started tank w carbon and prefilter in the filter chamber.. Added Amquel after first test and before wc.. Any advice?
TIA
Jami

it is natural for s.w. to have a little ammonia u can google to confirm :)

also you can purchase micro bacter 7 or dr tims one and only or ATM colony add a little to the tank u should be fine also you can test the water you are making to confirm the ammonia level , but really doesn't have anything to do with the frozen food and or if it is washed

also you can purchase micro bacter 7 or dr tims one and only or ATM colony add a little to the tank u should be fine also you can test the water you are making to confirm the ammonia level , but really doesn't have anything to do with the frozen food and or if it is washed
That was just my guess... Would small tank that doesn't have much of a biological filtration be more susceptible to ammonia in the water column from waste? The bacteria in a bottle is a great idea, although dr tims can be expensive!

That was just my guess... Would small tank that doesn't have much of a biological filtration be more susceptible to ammonia in the water column from waste? The bacteria in a bottle is a great idea, although dr tims can be expensive!
the waste would first need to brake down and decompose and yes a 10 g tank has less water volume/ less ppm so it will degrade faster but if she test her freshly made salt mix and see she will get a reading between 0 and .25 and is normal for salt water do to the chemistry make up

I think the sea horse is more expensive so defiantly worth the cost compared to buying another sea horse

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
Hey Jami, I used to have that problem in my old 20g qt...now in my 55g, that hasn't been an issue (knock on wood) so i guess my advice is go bigger if possible.

Thanks guys :) .. I have some Bacter 7 .. was thinking of adding some .. but curious if there are any precautions? Like somekind of spike to watch out for or anything? Seahorses are delicate so gotta ask :0 .. well.. since they are doing fine in .25 ( confirmed) ammonia maybe not as much as I thought! lol

I just added done poly filter to the hob.. Hopefully that helps too