How often do you change your RO membrane/sediment/carbon blocks?

mrextc

Ive been using my old BRS RO unit/on and off for the last 4 years(in storage for about 2 years). I only make about 10 gallons a week. I've been using it and my tds are currently 5. I just noticed the sediment filter is really dirty, but everything else seems to be working as it should.

I will be replacing the sediment and carbon blocks for sure tho...BUT, should i change the membrane?

BRS customer service said its recommended, but are they saying that for the $ or is that really necessary? What do you guys think?

it would depend on water quality of the tap water and it is not really a timed measure but a measure of tds which is total dissolved solids also the inner diameter hole of the sediment is what you need to look at not the outside if that inner hole is still clean and white its is still good make you money work hard for you I would also change the di resin and add a inline test before and after the membrane and also one after the di please pm me or call if you have any questions

check the tds going into the unit. Then check the tds coming out of the membrane but before it hits the DI. This will tell you if the membrane is still working or not. Is it still removing 95% or more of the TDS? Then you are good to go. Only removing 80%? time to change it.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Change your sediment first and if your TDS improves your membrane should still be ok. After that long i cant imagine it still being that good.

I change my sediment and carbon blocks every 6-12 months, DI when TDS reaches 1, and RO membrane when it goes above 7. (I currently get a consistent 4 tds out of my membrane. If you don't already have one, get a dual in line tds meter

mrextc

Thanks everyone for the input. Im going to change the sediment and carbon blocks first. i'll inspect and see what the membrane looks like, but i think its still working quite well since my tds are still quite low. :) Glad i didn't buy the membrane yet! Let's see what happens after i change a few filters! THanks again all!

mrextc

Okay, so im not sure if i should start a new thread of continue this one, but i changed all filters except the membrane, flushed the new cartridges and flushed the membrane...tds went up from 5 to 9, pre di? also production is a dribble...any ideas why this would happen?

Flush it a few times and see if that goes down. Honestly, tds at 9 before di is not that bad. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

mrextc

Flush it a few times and see if that goes down. Honestly, tds at 9 before di is not that bad. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
thanks, i guess im more concern with my production went down so much...litterally, its a dribble, it was much faster and lower tds with the 5 year old filters...i'm debating on if the membrane needs replacing, they say every 3 years...and its been at least 5 but about 2 years in storage.

Is your water pressure high enough? Did you make sure all the connecting lines are snug? Try using a higher flow water inlet.

Latest posts