sand or BB?

So in my 67 cube I want to go with black sand, but was told it wasn't a great idea do to the fact light doesn't shine off to well. But I really don't want the normal stuff either. So wanted to see what u guys think.

Can I use black sand and grow corlas?
Is bb that bad of an idea?

Also am using ati sun power dim 8x39 on my 67 gal.

Thanks

You can grow coral with any substrate. I did bb for a while. Easier to clean and maintain, corals grew. But I wanted wrasses and they need sand. I like bb and it really doesn't look bad at all. All preference

Lexusman25

Premium Member
Supporter
I have tried normal sand and BB and I prefer normal sand haha BB just didn't look right. Although I just saw someone recently paint the bottom of their tank white and ran a BB and it looked pretty cool.

I had bare bottem and was a lot easier to maintain, but got tired of the look and went to black sand, in my opinion some corals pop really good off black sand like scolys and brighter zoas

Never once seen a BB tank that looked clean. At the beginning all BB tanks look nice, but after a few weeks/months they get detritus that builds up, and it just looks bad. Especially when corraline algae builds up on the bottom. A nice clean white sand bed looks super nice.

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
So in my 67 cube I want to go with black sand, but was told it wasn't a great idea do to the fact light doesn't shine off to well. But I really don't want the normal stuff either. So wanted to see what u guys think.

Can I use black sand and grow corlas?
Is bb that bad of an idea?

Also am using ati sun power dim 8x39 on my 67 gal.

Thanks
I use the Hawaiian black sand and I'm growing sps on the sand. Don't know who said you can't grow on black sand but it's not true.

I like a sand bed... but trying bare bottom in my nano though. Black sand will show detritus more like a black car. So you'll need to stay on top of it or have a good amount of conchs and other sifters.

I have a white sand with lots of shell fragments and crushed coral, the mixed bottom looks really cool. Get a diamond goby to do your sand maintenance...