Electrician's Opinion: Circuit Breaker Keeps Popping

It's pretty obvious that my tank consumes a lot of electricity. For a while now, everytime I use the microwave at around 3PM (peak time for T5's at 100%) it pops the breaker. The tank and the entire kitchen black out. So I think it's safe to conclude that the kitchen and the den where my tank is are on the same circuit. I want to upgrade the circuit breaker, but I've read you need a certain gauge of wire in order to run higher amperages. Currently, the circuit breaker that's popping is 15 amps. I don't know the gauge wire it's connected to. How can I find out myself? I know I can call an electrician, but want to see if there's anything I can do.

Any thoughts? The circuit popped last night (I don't know how--my tank wasn't consuming much power) and I lost my borbonious after the temperature dropped to 75.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
When it comes to Electricity, if I dont already know the answer (taught), I call an electrician lol

There are a few electrician here, im sure they will chime in soon.

First thing I would do is put a amp clamp on breaker that is tripping and determine how much current your drawing. Your mostly running 14 gauge on 15 amp circuit and if you want to upgrade to a 20 amp circuit you need to go with 12 gauge Wire.

I got a amp clamp and all tool necessary to diagnose your issue. Let me know, I can take a look at it. I live in R.C.

I'm not an electrician, but did rewire my house, panel change outs, blah blah blah. In my kitchen, every appliance is on separate 20a breakers. Anyway, you may be able to compare wire sizes by getting a piece of each from Home Depot and holding it up to the wire that goes into the breaker. Like fdawg said, #14 is good for 15a, #12 is good for 20a. Determine what wire size you have first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xmas_one

I just went through this with installing a 220V outlet for my welder. Just like Matt and Fernando said, breaker size is driven by wire size. Nice of Fernado to offer to help you out, I'd definitely take him up on his offer!

For a temporary fix, check your panel for any 20a circuits, locate the circuit by shutting it off (maybe it's labeled...likely not :) ) and seeing what turns off. Then Run an extension cord and plug your tank into that outlet to keep your tank from shutting off.

Depends if you can find somebody honest. Are you on a slab or raised foundation? Have an attic? Adding an outlet isn't hard. You may just need to upsize your breaker, depending on wire size. Wouldn't hurt to call someone in the area and get a couple quotes.

I wish you were closer. I could come by and run you a new circuit real quick. Do you have an attic? Do you mind posting a pic of your panel? (Bonus if it's a pic of panel with the dead plate off) lol good luck my friend

Thanks for the offer Dylan!

So the death toll sits at three: borbonious, potter's angel, and kuiter wrasse. That's about $500 worth of fish. If it's any consolation, the kuiter wrasse disappeared for five days until I found it between the rocks today.

Anyway, I setup my vortech backup now. A little late though.

If you guys know of any good and decent electricians, let me know. I want to get this fixed.

Damian- thhn wire has black wording , you will need to open up your electrical main panel locate the breaker that is tripping and you will be able to read the wire gage it will either say 14 awg thhn (15amp breaker) or 12 awg thhn (20amp breaker) if you can post a picture of your panel im able to walk you thru the process.

you can also open up an outlet that is attached to the( circuit )breaker that is tripping and read the wire gauge, good luck.

note: below is a picture of a green wire with black wording similar to what you will find .

Last edited:
In romex wire there is not labeling of the description of gauge .so it's not going to say 14 or 12 on there but if you're in a newer home somewhere about 8 years old maybe 10 years old the number 12 wire will be in a yellow jacket 14 gauge will be in a white jacket so wherever the wire is attached to your breakerz follow it up you're going to run into the color jacket if its white 14 gauge if its yellow its 12 gauge.not to say that it's a permanent solution but most likely if you move that microwave to the opposite side of the kitchen you will be on a different circuit.you can PM me bro I'm electrician live in Redlands

what type of electrician are you? commercial, industrial or residential
In romex wire there is not labeling of the description of gauge .so it's not going to say 14 or 12 on there but if you're in a newer home somewhere about 8 years old maybe 10 years old the number 12 wire will be in a yellow jacket 14 gauge will be in a white jacket so wherever the wire is attached to your breakerz follow it up you're going to run into the color jacket if its white 14 gauge if its yellow its 12 gauge.not to say that it's a permanent solution but most likely if you move that microwave to the opposite side of the kitchen you will be on a different circuit.you can PM me bro I'm electrician live in Redlands

I've been doing electrical work for 16 yrs or so did 3 yrs Comercial still doing some Comercial. But go state certified in res. That what the bossed payed for

Latest posts