strange acan recession?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
This acan was growing great in my system for the last several months. Tripling in size. Now I noticed all the new heads have receded exposing the skeleton. Is there some parasite that eats away at acans specifically? My scolly, open Brian and all other LPS seem unaffected. The adult heads look healthy and open/puffy during the day. I'm not sure if that white slime is dead tissue or the cause of recession :

Parameters are all fine:
Alk 9
Calcium 470
Magnesium 1500
Phosphates 0
I don't have a nitrate kit but my algae isn't out of control.

My tank was going through a slump for a bit (mostly sps lacking color) but seems to be coming back to life since adding fish back to the system.

I noticed that a lot of my acans recieded when I added an mp60. [MENTION=492]All Delight[/MENTION] has some nice acans, maybe he can help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
any other LPS doing this..? or just acans...?
No. All my other LPS are looking very happy. Just this one guy, its my only acan frag. I may pull him out and try a dip just to be on the safe side. If I lose it I lose it, looks to be going down hill fast anyway.

just move it around the tank... maybe under a shelf rock, or behind somewhere the flow won't jack it up... see if that helps...

i asked if other LPS was doing the same thing because black bugs leaves them the same like in the pictures...