Vinegar dosing--Confused

I'm starting week #5 on vinegar dosing. When I started my NO3 was >64 and PO4 was <0. I did a water change earlier today and just finished testing and there is absolutely no change NO3 >64 and PO4 <0. I have a 40 gal. system (30g with a 20g sump) and have been following the dosing charts found online rounded up to make it easier. Am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't I have seen some kind of change? How can I have 0 PO4 and ridiculously high NO3? I use Red Sea test kits. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I'm starting week #5 on vinegar dosing. When I started my NO3 was >64 and PO4 was <0. I did a water change earlier today and just finished testing and there is absolutely no change NO3 >64 and PO4 <0. I have a 40 gal. system (30g with a 20g sump) and have been following the dosing charts found online rounded up to make it easier. Am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't I have seen some kind of change? How can I have 0 PO4 and ridiculously high NO3? I use Red Sea test kits. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.
Do you have a good skimmer in your system?

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I have an SCA-301 skimmer and use a filter sock. I pull thick dark green skimmate and empty the cup about once a week.
How many fish u got in that 40? How often and how much water you use with a water change? A 40 gallon shouldn't be that hard to lower nitrates.

I've got a pair of clowns, a 6 line wrasse, 1 bangai cardinal, and a scooter blenny. I change 5 gallons every week. Cyano on everything, GHA, and random macro growing from the rocks.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I've got a pair of clowns, a 6 line wrasse, 1 bangai cardinal, and a scooter blenny. I change 5 gallons every week. Cyano on everything, GHA, and random macro growing from the rocks.
You been neglecting your tank? Syphon the GHA and cyano with the WC. Maybe do 2- 5 gallon WC weekly. (on different days) do you make your own water?

I have not been neglecting my tank. I can do more water changes, but it hasn't worked in the past, hence the vinegar dosing. I make my own water using red sea pro salt as per the directions(by weight). I know that I need new T5 bulbs and I am in the process of building an LED fixture. I just don't understand how I can be dosing carbon and feeding fairly heavy but have 0 PO4 and ridiculously high NO3. If it makes any difference, here's my full water test:
SG- 1.027
Temp-77.7
pH- 8-8.2(API)
NO3->64
PO4-0
Ca- 500+
Mg- 1580
KH- 3.2meq/l 9dkH

Yeah you got some issues the vinegar won't fix. I went from vsv to just vodka now. But it's not a cure for anything its just an aid and routine. Need to gets things under control then it will begin to work as it should. Get the gha out. I would say gfo and carbon for the po4 and no3. You are testing 0 on po4 most likely because they are consuming it. Introduce bacteria as well to fight out the cyano. 3 month slow process under you should be good. But there is no cheap solution really.

Am I doing something wrong?
Yes, your ratio of N:p is out of wack.

Shouldn't I have seen some kind of change?
Nope, Based on your test results I would not have expected a change in your Nitrate.

How can I have 0 PO4 and ridiculously high NO3?
Honestly, without even asking I would put my money on GFO use. However any media or Phosphate reducing method that does no target Nitrate as well would have yeilded the same issue.

No phosphate remover at all? With the level of your nitrates you should be around 4 for phosphate. Ususally around 16:1 ratio

Latest posts