Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium

So I posted a question in another Nazi forum and they said you can make your own Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium they even had a whole section for DIY. Has anybody done this? Apparently it's the same supplements BRS and other companies sell but a lot cheaper for you to do it yourself. Let me know has done this.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious, how much do you actually dose? If it's not that much then I'm guessing the better way is to just buy the premixed stuff (on sale!) vs making your own. I looked into making my own at one point but all the things I would need to buy and make the stuff would literally lasts me for years. So unless you are running a huge tank and dosing like 1/10-1/2 a gallon a day then I don't think it's even worthwhile to make it yourself. Just my opinion

xmas_one

The BRS chems are pretty cheap enough, and are tried and true, supposed to be high purity as well.

Like Vu said, unless you have some giant *** tank it stops making sense.

My biggest fear would be the purity issues, you're using stuff thats made to melt snow off of driveways trying to save $20, so what if a little copper sneaks in the mix, it doesn't matter for the intended use, but it will grenade your reef.

The BRS chems are pretty cheap enough, and are tried and true, supposed to be high purity as well.

Like Vu said, unless you have some giant *** tank it stops making sense.

My biggest fear would be the purity issues, you're using stuff thats made to melt snow off of driveways trying to save $20, so what if a little copper sneaks in the mix, it doesn't matter for the intended use, but it will grenade your reef.
Na I just have 150g, I guess it's not worth the risk since I'm going to go SPS on this build.

Just curious, how much do you actually dose? If it's not that much then I'm guessing the better way is to just buy the premixed stuff (on sale!) vs making your own. I looked into making my own at one point but all the things I would need to buy and make the stuff would literally lasts me for years. So unless you are running a huge tank and dosing like 1/10-1/2 a gallon a day then I don't think it's even worthwhile to make it yourself. Just my opinion
I'm using Red Sea Foundation but haven't even started dosing yet. Haha I did buy things on sale. Wow it would last for years!!! I don't even think I can keep a tank that long

I was using that stuffs like 2 years before using BRS. I didn't have any issue with them. I am still using Arm and Hammer Baking Soda for Alk, Espom Salt for Magnesium. Calcium from BRS (after running out Dowflake). I think most people scare about impurities, but with water change I think it is fine.
If i am going to nice 150 gallon tank again, I would get from BRS to make sure pure supplements for your valuable tank.

Yup..not worth it..imo..I am sure its all the same as well and probably little chance of issues with it. However, without exact dosing information and the obvious not intended for reef so why even try it. plus the bulk issue no point. But we have countless many to thank beacuase these were probably the foundation of reef building getting us where we are today

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I agree with the above people. I do not think you would have negative effects with regular water changes but I have used baking soda once and while baking it my wife came home and was like WTF. She called me a cheap azz and told me to buy the good stuff.

my opinion now is don't go cheap when maintaining your tank. We surely spend more for nice corals or fish.

I was using that stuffs like 2 years before using BRS. I didn't have any issue with them. I am still using Arm and Hammer Baking Soda for Alk, Espom Salt for Magnesium. Calcium from BRS (after running out Dowflake). I think most people scare about impurities, but with water change I think it is fine.
If i am going to nice 150 gallon tank again, I would get from BRS to make sure pure supplements for your valuable tank.
Is it because you don't want to add the silicate from diy on the calcium?
Yup..not worth it..imo..I am sure its all the same as well and probably little chance of issues with it. However, without exact dosing information and the obvious not intended for reef so why even try it. plus the bulk issue no point. But we have countless many to thank beacuase these were probably the foundation of reef building getting us where we are today
They seem to have the exact increase per ml. The information is there I think it's just not as sophisticated as Red Sea or other product that have a manual. But I do agree I do see no reward in adding unwanted chemicals if your going high end sticks
I agree with the above people. I do not think you would have negative effects with regular water changes but I have used baking soda once and while baking it my wife came home and was like WTF. She called me a cheap azz and told me to buy the good stuff.

my opinion now is don't go cheap when maintaining your tank. We surely spend more for nice corals or fish.
Hahaha that's funny!!! Sounds like a good topic for the club.

LOL. Steve you tell your wife that you are saving money for her expense. Beside you use cheap (Baking Soda) for the house and expensive stuffs for fish tank. You should buy BRS stuffs for house use as well.