I've been battling this " diatoms "algae in my mixed reef tank ,

Grew a thin layer on All my sps corals and suffocated them

So I replaced all filters on my rodi system

A bunch of water changes

I'm running gfo & carbon reactors

I tried turning off my lights for 5 days

added a few sps frags a few days ago

And the problem came back again

Has anyone experienced this ? Is there any silicate removers all my LPS COALS ARE FINE THE PROBLEM IS JUST KEEPING ANY SPS RIGHT NOW , please help !!!! Idk what do to anymore

My Tank Build
Is reading zero , does gfo remove silicates ?
Yes

Silicates will usually go away when u eliminate the source of how there getting in the tank. But from my experience in the past they got locked in my sand bed and I had to slowly remove all the sand out of my tank.
But silicate are not for easily removed by your regular RO system. They are like glass and cause you to go through membranes twice as fast. You need to have really heavy duty carbon blocks and what I have found that works the best is a silicabuster filter as your DI.

GGuy

What of salt are you using. Did you recently switch different brands? I had a similar issue when switching from H2Ocean to Reef Crystals. I switched back and everything cleared up, maybe just a bad batch of salt.

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
Is reading zero , does gfo remove silicates ?
Yes Rowaphos removes silicates but not all gfo does. Also a silicate buster for your rodi system will help. NSW and salts have silicates but if elevated will cause algae problems. hth

Latest posts