Taking the plunge!

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey everyone, I am thinking of taking the plunge into LED lighting and was hoping someone could help. I was looking at the Maxspect R420r 300W 16K for my 120g as the price is not as bad as some of the others out there. I do have a mixed reef so would like to make sure they can handle both sps and lps. I would love to hear some input from anyone that might have one? Do you like it, dislike it and why? is there someone or a LFS that uses them that I can visit and see in action for myself? Currently using 8 t5's which I am happy with but really dislike having to buy bulbs every 6-9 months.
207761-maxspect-razor.jpg
Thanks everyone.

Attachments

I - took the plunge - a few weeks back and upgraded to all Kessils, 3 fixtures across a 5' 100 gallon tank. I don't have any long term results yet but the color and shimmer are sick. And the programming ability through the apex is really cool too.

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
Aww dang just seen how far SPS Coral is from me.. Thank you but, No thank you. Ocean Marine Sales is not so bad, Anyone else in the orange/riverside county area?

I sold my maxspect razor 300 watt 16k and now I'm using Ati T5 8 lamp Sunpower. Not as many variables with t5 pick your lamps set your timer done. LED your playing with a lot more variables ramp up intensity on A and B channels. The leds will grow corals if you have everything set correctly and a stable tank. Google maxspect led settings lots of people are still looking for the perfect programming but every tank is different good luck.

The process is the fun part with LEDs. Sure T5 can give neat color & MH can grow giants, but LEDs are cutting edge.

image.jpg

Here's SPS coral store tank taken with my iPhone. Picture doesn't do any justice. Buts it's a beautiful display with 4 maxspect fixtures

I agree but once you set it up you might start second guessing your settings after a month goes by thinking should this sps have more growth or color.

The Sps coral store is what made me take the plunge on the Razor when I first seen that tank it was full of Sps it looked excellent

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
I sold my maxspect razor 300 watt 16k and now I'm using Ati T5 8 lamp Sunpower. Not as many variables with t5 pick your lamps set your timer done. LED your playing with a lot more variables ramp up intensity on A and B channels. The leds will grow corals if you have everything set correctly and a stable tank. Google maxspect led settings lots of people are still looking for the perfect programming but every tank is different good luck.
...wait, you sold your Maxspect LED to go back to T5? wish I would have seen your post when you were selling. Anyways, T5's are awesome, dont get me wrong just hate the bulb changing. As for the variables and the ramping, that's what I love about LED, not to mention a nicer electric bill advantages.

Imo reefers give up too quickly on LEDs. They also make the mistake of thinking theyre saving $, but usually didnt buy enough PAR/PUR. New tech always costs more, NET cost of more. But it keeps the hobby challenging.

...wait, you sold your Maxspect LED to go back to T5? wish I would have seen your post when you were selling. Anyways, T5's are awesome, dont get me wrong just hate the bulb changing. As for the variables and the ramping, that's what I love about LED, not to mention a nicer electric bill advantages.
Yes sold here on the forum cheap. Now using Ati Sunpower 8 lamp

Latest posts