Epoxy Putty- My skimmer is going nuts!

BeanMachine

Supporter
Its happened before, but I used a tube and a half of epoxy putty to mount a few corals and small rocks in my display and my skimmer has been going nuts for 2 days. It usually subsides but this time I forgot to turn off my skimmer while doing it and lost about an inch of skimmate into the tank. hehe woops but at least the cup wasn't half full!

This has also happen to me. But I used about a half of stick of epoxy. If I remember correctly it lasted for about 3 days.

BeanMachine

Supporter
You must have been mounting colonies because super glue would have been my first choice :)
I don't mind the putty once the zoas grow over it, makes nice little mounds. I moved a few and mainly used the putty to fix the small rocks to the main rock work.

Its happened before, but I used a tube and a half of epoxy putty to mount a few corals and small rocks in my display and my skimmer has been going nuts for 2 days. It usually subsides but this time I forgot to turn off my skimmer while doing it and lost about an inch of skimmate into the tank. hehe woops but at least the cup wasn't half full!
this does happen but a rule of thumb when using epoxy putty I use 1/4 stick at a time per 100 gallons to ensure this from not happening , pace your self and spread it out through out a two week period if possible. I do understand that life happens and that you do have a life job and a wife but this rule of thumb helps to prevent any issues when using a 1/2 to a whole stick of epoxy .

BeanMachine

Supporter
this does happen but a rule of thumb when using epoxy putty I use 1/4 stick at a time per 100 gallons to ensure this from not happening , pace your self and spread it out through out a two week period if possible. I do understand that life happens and that you do have a life job and a wife but this rule of thumb helps to prevent any issues when using a 1/2 to a whole stick of epoxy .
Thanks Robert, yeah it wasn't a surprise to me as I have used a little bit at a time and no problems. I'm almost done with my scape and coral placement... and I had the afternoon yesterday to really finish it up. Last few weekends I've gone bat **** crazy but I think I'm done... I think.

Thanks Robert, yeah it wasn't a surprise to me as I have used a little bit at a time and no problems. I'm almost done with my scape and coral placement... and I had the afternoon yesterday to really finish it up. Last few weekends I've gone bat **** crazy but I think I'm done... I think.
I hope to see Purple Sexy at the top of your scape! Lol

BeanMachine

Supporter
which brand u using? I don't remember that ever happening when i used expoxy to mount frags
The 2 Little Fishies Epoxy Putty. It only happens when I've used a lot of it.

I also never has that issue...but its seems raising your skimmer might help.
I don't mind the skimmer overflowing for a few days, it will go back to normal as it has in the past. Just wish I had emptied my collection cup first!

used some putty as well to mount my zoas on to some rock...skimmer went nuts...AND my zoas died from the move lol fml