How to stop food from going into the Overflow box?

Hello,

When I feed my fish with flake and mysis shrimps, most of them flow right into the overflow box. I would like to be able to block the food from going into the overflow box during feeding time. My 180g overflow is right in the middle of the tank. Is there anything on the market that I can buy to block the food from going into the overflow box? Or do you have any suggestions on how to build one?

Thanks much.

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
Dont feed....lol or turn the return pump off..Nothing that I know about to stop food from going in the overflow.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
turn your return pump off, wait a minute and then feed.

This is where controllers come in handy because with a push of a button you can customize your pumps to turn off or slow down.

To each their own but even with a controller I find it a bit tedious to turn the pump off during each feeding for my fishies. I can see the point if you are spot feeding particular corals like acans or other LPS. A little get's into the overflow but oh well.

I made a feeder box in the past for a few members, that worked as expected. What you can also do is use the RO hose and make a full circle with it and attach it to a suction cups. Place the food inside the circle and the food would soak and sink or the fish can come and eat right under it...

This was made to used with a fish feeder or manual feed.

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
put the flakes/pellets in a little plastic cup with tank water and then dip the cup so the food falls out under the waterline.

I have tried turning off the return pump - Too tedious doing it 3 times a day.
I have a large feeding ring made from washer/dryer plastic hose - This works fine when food is still floating inside the ring.

But for mysis shrimp and sinking flakes, they flow up and down, and all over the tank due to strong water movement. My fish love strong water movement and chase after food.

I am thinking of building a screen around the overflow box using nylon mesh. The screen holes need to be big enough for the water to flow through adequately but small enough to trap the food.
I found nylon mesh selling online but it is difficult to get the right size mesh without looking at it in person.
Does anyone know any stores that sell nylon mesh? Thanks.